Tips/advice for upgrading lighting

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, happy Friday!

Tomorrow I’m finally upgrading the lighting to my 40G Breeder LPS dominant (couple mushroom and GSP) reef!

I’ve been using (2) Current USA Orbit Marine LED, and tomorrow I’ll be setting up my (2) AI Prime 16HDs. I am using the bracket mounts and I purchased the 3D reefers diffusers.

I rented the MQ-510 par meter, and think I may try the David saxby setting.

Any advice that may be helpful? Right now I’m planning to do
7-8am ramp up
8-6 peak
6-7 ramp down

I work from home (tank is in my office) so I’d like to get the most out of my light times. Is this lighting schedule too long?

Any tips/advice that comes to mind? I’ve only been reefing for ~1.5 years, so still lots to learn!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not too long. Especially if you keep the intensity low. Shoot to max out at 150-200 par at most for high points during that time. Maybe even a little less. I would also do some higher intensity settings and note what you need to program to hit 350-400 par in some high points in case you decide to try out sps in the future. Just to take note of what settings would be needed. While you’re using the par meter. I would start at whatever par your present leds are putting out, and ramp up to desired strength over a month. Just raise the intensity a little each day to get there

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not too long. Especially if you keep the intensity low. Shoot to max out at 150-200 par at most for high points during that time. Maybe even a little less. I would also do some higher intensity settings and note what you need to program to hit 350-400 par in some high points in case you decide to try out sps in the future. Just to take note of what settings would be needed. While you’re using the par meter. I would start at whatever par your present leds are putting out, and ramp up to desired strength over a month. Just raise the intensity a little each day to get there
That’s a good idea, thanks!

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m looking to upgrade my current usa lights as well to some ai blades I was wondering how your light upgrade went.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m looking to upgrade my current usa lights as well to some ai blades I was wondering how your light upgrade went.
I’m really enjoying the upgraded lights. Mounts were easy to put on and the new lights have been great. There’s a slight learning curve with the app, but overall a lot of flexibility with the color variations.

One issue I ran into was that the one AI light had a damaged LED. The blues were noticeably different between the two lights in the evening (not noticeable during the day). But I was able to exchange for a new one and now they’re both up and running. I do highly recommend a Par meter though because they put out a lot more light intensity than the USA. I started mine at 45% and slowly worked up to 55% intensity (I don’t have SPS)

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, happy Friday!

Tomorrow I’m finally upgrading the lighting to my 40G Breeder LPS dominant (couple mushroom and GSP) reef!

I’ve been using (2) Current USA Orbit Marine LED, and tomorrow I’ll be setting up my (2) AI Prime 16HDs. I am using the bracket mounts and I purchased the 3D reefers diffusers.

I rented the MQ-510 par meter, and think I may try the David saxby setting.

Any advice that may be helpful? Right now I’m planning to do
7-8am ramp up
8-6 peak
6-7 ramp down

I work from home (tank is in my office) so I’d like to get the most out of my light times. Is this lighting schedule too long?

Any tips/advice that comes to mind? I’ve only been reefing for ~1.5 years, so still lots to learn!
I hope you enjoy the new lights! I have an AI prime over one of my tanks that has been going strong for over 1.5 years. I use the exact same lighting schedule

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little unorthodox, but I do a 13.5 hour light period. 4 hour ramp up, 6 at peak, 3.5 hour ramp down.

Corals will adapt. What is really really important is that you set it and just leave it that way. A lot of people buy new lights, set a spectrum and 10 hour light period, then change the spectrum, change the light period, change the intensity and then blame the light fixture when the corals suffer.

Don’t stress about the presets… they all work
don’t stress about 10 hours or 12 hours or anything in that ballpark.

But make sure you set it right the first time and then leave it alone

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little unorthodox, but I do a 13.5 hour light period. 4 hour ramp up, 6 at peak, 3.5 hour ramp down.

Corals will adapt. What is really really important is that you set it and just leave it that way. A lot of people buy new lights, set a spectrum and 10 hour light period, then change the spectrum, change the light period, change the intensity and then blame the light fixture when the corals suffer.

Don’t stress about the presets… they all work
don’t stress about 10 hours or 12 hours or anything in that ballpark.

But make sure you set it right the first time and then leave it alone
I will definitely follow this advice thank you!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back