Tips and tricks to help each other

oceans deep aquaria

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2025
Messages
55
Reaction score
43
Location
desert hot springs
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few tips and tricks. I’ve learned throughout the years, maybe it might help somebody not to have the heartache. I would like to hear other input to help me out also thank you.

1. Make sure you clean your skimmer before you add “anything” to your tank to prevent overflow in your Sump.
2. Make sure you close your drain in your sink before you take things apart, I’ve noticed small parts falling down the drain, making it harder now to finish my project..
3. Make sure you don’t tighten screws too tight on pumps or skimmers. It will crack very upsetting.
4. Make sure you wear goggles or glasses when cutting Zoa, not fun when he gets in your eyes.
5. Make sure you add food grade grease or olive oil to your RODI filter containers so they don’t get stuck and make it hard for you to take them off.
6. Make sure you clean your water sensors before taking a small vacation. So they work properly.



I’ll add more as I remember along the line anybody have any more input?
 
How about:
  • Go slowly, never quickly
  • Research all livestock before purchasing and bringing it home
  • A 3 dollar turkey baster is your best friend 🙂
  • Hobby-level test kits give you a general idea, not a hard number
I'm sure others will be able to add a lot to this list!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new