Tips for aquascaping a tall tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, I know tall tanks are not very popular anymore but some of us still have them, including me.

I had seahorses which do better in tall tanks. I found it challenging at first to use the upper third of the tank. Eventually I learned a few tricks however.
1. is a deep sand bed. 5" of sand helps lift up the aquascape, ha ha 5"! So a 24" high tank has been reduced to 19" and you get the benefits of denitrification when the sandbed matures.
2. An even deeper sand bed by building a retaining wall with rock to hold an 8" sandbed in place and then put a stable rock structure on the surface of the sandbed. Then if you want, you can surround the retaining wall with a shallower sandbed for a multi-level look.
3. Magnetic artificial frag rocks. These come in many shapes and sizes and can be placed at any height.
4. Utilizing tall coral like gorgonians or tall macroalgae like ulva.
Anyway, I have learned to embrace the picture frame like view that my tank offers.
PS. My tank is definitely not minimal.
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tips. Your aquarium looks full from top to bottom and space used well. Great job.

I have always had aquariums 29" or higher for my display and prefer to always have one. When I redid my display last year I decided not to go with dsb this time.

I prefer the depth as it gives more moments to create free swimming areas for the fish without compromising on your reef structure getn too close to the surface.

I'm a tall person so cleaning aquarium doesn't require me to get my face wet when cleaning the glass. Lol

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tips. Your aquarium looks full from top to bottom and space used well. Great job.

I have always had aquariums 29" or higher for my display and prefer to always have one. When I redid my display last year I decided not to go with dsb this time.

I prefer the depth as it gives more moments to create free swimming areas for the fish without compromising on your reef structure getn too close to the surface.

I'm a tall person so cleaning aquarium doesn't require me to get my face wet when cleaning the glass. Lol
Thank you for the kind words about my tank! I am only average height at 5'6" so can only just reach the bottom of my tank and I am up to my armpits! I end up with a lot of soggy sleeves, even with the DSB, LOL!

Did you go with a shallow sandbed or bare bottom when you redid your tank? How is it working out?
I tried bare bottom when I had the seahorses since detritus build up can fuel pathogenic bacterias that seahorses are vulnerable to. I painted the outside of the bottom with a sandstone paint to give it a sand texture and it worked pretty well. The tank however did look un-naturally sterile so I eventually added sand back into it.

20180116_201124.jpg

I am guessing that you must have a fairly large tank to be 29" high? Do you have tangs or angels that enjoy that open water?

Last edited:

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20231216_101604247_HDR.jpg
I really like those magnetic frag racks also. I like the ones from Oceans Wonders. I have 3 in this tank and 2 in my Evo 13.5 lol!

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 24" is tall, it's a very common height. Just use more rock or larger rock to create height.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words about my tank! I am only average height at 5'6" so can only just reach the bottom of my tank and I am up to my armpits! I end up with a lot of soggy sleeves, even with the DSB, LOL!

Did you go with a shallow sandbed or bare bottom when you redid your tank? How is it working out?
I tried bare bottom when I had the seahorses since detritus build up can fuel pathogenic bacterias that seahorses are vulnerable to. I painted the outside of the bottom with a sandstone paint to give it a sand texture and it worked pretty well. The tank however did look un-naturally sterile so I eventually added sand back into it.

20180116_201124.jpg

I am guessing that you must have a fairly large tank to be 29" high? Do you have tangs or angels that enjoy that open water?

LOL, yeah I have had some baggy short sleeves get soaked a few times. It comes with the territory. My fish love the upper swimming room. I actually redesigned my aquarium kind of like your picture above which is beautiful! More minimalistic with swimming room all around. The fish love it.

I went with a ~2" sand bed. i really like it. its deeper in some areas and lower in others due to current. Its working out great. I used to use fiji pink sand. i went with the slightly larger grain this time.

Yes. My display is 255gallon. Yes I have 4 Tangs. I currently have
Blond Naso
Gem Tang
Chocolate Tang
Yellow Tang

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yeah I have had some baggy short sleeves get soaked a few times. It comes with the territory. My fish love the upper swimming room. I actually redesigned my aquarium kind of like your picture above which is beautiful! More minimalistic with swimming room all around. The fish love it.

I went with a ~2" sand bed. i really like it. its deeper in some areas and lower in others due to current. Its working out great. I used to use fiji pink sand. i went with the slightly larger grain this time.

Yes. My display is 255gallon. Yes I have 4 Tangs. I currently have
Blond Naso
Gem Tang
Chocolate Tang
Yellow Tang
I just got done checking out your thread. Kudos to you for persevering through all of the adversity you went through. Those things can be discouraging but a tank can always rebound and we aquarist becoming older and wiser. (Although some times I think that I am only older, LOL). Enjoy your redo and that cute chocolate tang!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 24" is tall, it's a very common height. Just use more rock or larger rock to create height.
True it is a common height, but when the tank is only 30" wide, then 24" looks quite a bit taller. Also it is tall when comparing with all the lagoon style tanks that have become so popular.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This should help.

It is for freshwater, but the same rules apply.

Honestly, for an aquarium with such odd dimensions - I would choose the convex layout.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back