Tips for Sargassum Trigger

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received a sargassum trigger the night before last, and I can’t get him to eat anything. I’ve tried feeding the rest of the tank on one side and feeding him on the other, I’ve put two dozen live brine shrimp and ghost shrimp and he didn’t touch them, and I’ve fed clams on the half shell and sheets of Nori and he won’t touch them. I have seen him take a bite of floating Nori and then spit it out.
any other suggestions to get him to eat?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always cocerned when a new addition doesn't eat after offering a variety of foods including live. Internal parasites are rampant and I would not wait to treat him. It sounds like you have already put him into the display, so if it's a reef, your choice would be to use prazi pro. General cure or paraguard is a better choice, if its a fowlr or if you have a qt tank to move him to, these will treat a broader spectrum of parasites and worms. I wouldn't wait long.

OP
OP
Y

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always cocerned when a new addition doesn't eat after offering a variety of foods including live. Internal parasites are rampant and I would not wait to treat him. It sounds like you have already put him into the display, so if it's a reef, your choice would be to use prazi pro. General cure or paraguard is a better choice, if its a fowlr or if you have a qt tank to move him to, these will treat a broader spectrum of parasites and worms. I wouldn't wait long.
I started dosing prazi to the display. I added more live brine and ghost shrimp and he just ignores them. Here’s a picture of what he looks like right now.

2C742DC6-7BA3-4B50-B45C-1ACF24B99FDE.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully prazipro will do the trick, his stomach doesn't look sunken and he looks good overall. They can be shy at first so it may take him a little bit longer, but it looks like he is out and about. If he starts eating in a couple of days, I would mix metro/focus in the food he eats. If you have access to live black worms, that's a good offering also. What else do you feed the tank, when settled in they usually accept a variety of foods offered.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day without eating isn't uncommon for new fish. sargasms like blue jaws feed from the water column, so try to feed foods the stay in the water column longer. Mine was always went nuts for mysis.

I had mine for about 2yrs before it swam in between a piece of shrimp and my zebra eel....

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eaten yet? I'd suggest mysis and/or raw shrimp. Both of those work really well. I'd soak the mysis in metronidazole/kanaplex/focus so it helps to get rid of any gut parasites.

OP
OP
Y

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eaten yet? I'd suggest mysis and/or raw shrimp. Both of those work really well. I'd soak the mysis in metronidazole/kanaplex/focus so it helps to get rid of any gut parasites.
No that one ended up passing away. I had ordered another one though and have had him for about 10 days. I kept this one in an observation tank for a week until he was eating regularly. This one has been in the display and is eating like a champ. It gets along great with everyone and swims around everywhere.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back