Tips for success with our corals during the winter months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, the winter months can be a bit sketchy for shipping!

We do our best to make sure that your corals will arrive quickly, and in great health. That being said, there are some things that we cannot control, such as delays caused by bad weather. We'll check weather in the area that we are shipping to before we send out your order. However, there are many instances where we will defer to you to make the decision about wether or not we should ship. A lot of the success of a shipment during the winter months is based on random, but important factors, such as when your Fed Ex guy/girl delivers during the day, where he/she tends to place the packages if you're not home, and how quickly you get the box indoors.

mapsnow.jpg

What are some things that we can all do to assure success shipping during the winter months?

1) Communication! We will definitely call you before we ship if you're in an area where weather is going to be a factor. Please feel free to call us, too. If it's better to have the box delivered to your place of business, or a place where they will get out of the cold more quickly, let us know, and we'll arrange to ship your corals there. We ship out by about 5:00PM, Pacific time, so you can reach us throughout the day to update us if necessary.

2) Consider shipping to a Fed Ex facility. If you choose to do this, your package is dropped off almost directly from the airplane to your facility, and rather than riding around on a cold truck all morning, will be waiting for you to pick up, typically as soon as the facility is open for business!

fedex_corpus_christi_facility_distribution_construction_cadence_mcshane.jpg

3) When you receive your corals, make sure that you inspect the corals carefully. Although we strive to do our best, some corals just don't do as well as others when shipped during these months. We try to adjust our offerings during the winter months so that you won't have to contend with these delicate shippers. Although we use great insulation and heat packs, boxes still can get cold when it's ridiculously chilly outside! Get them warmed up quickly. If a coral looks like it is in pretty bad shape, it can often recover with a little TLC. However, if it's really rough and doesn't make it...Just call us and we'll take care of you.

IMG_8422.jpgUC.jpg

4) Begin to dip/acclimate your corals as quickly as possible, utilizing your favorite technique. We like this method, as outlined on our website:
Acclimation

5) Once your corals are settled in, we recommend that you feed them. Our corals are fed several times a week, so they are generally in pretty good condition when you receive them. In addition to feeding, the usual good care will help assure success!

Have a great weekend! Always feel free to call us with any questions you might have about shipping!

Regards,

Scott and Joe

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back