Tips on buying used livestock and equipment?

Rozeen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, folks! Does anyone have any tips or opinions on what types of equipment and livestock to buy used through a local marine aquarium society vs. new through online/LFS? I see a lot of locals getting out of the hobby and selling just about everything. Live rock from an established tank looks particularly appetizing -- any concerns about adding rock from an unknown system to start your tank? (And how to mitigate those concerns, if they can be mitigated?) Thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't pay more than 50¢ on the dollar for anything - especially if it's out of warranty. Be very wary of tanks (especially used Red Sea ones that are more than 3 years old). Livestock you have to look at on a case-by-case basis. As for the rocks, they could be fine - but they could also potentially leech out stuff over time.

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the rock is ultra clean and you trust the person selling it to you, I would not use rock that has been in an unknown person’s tank (this is my personal opinion). I’m sure other users will disagree with me (and that’s totally fine) but any unwanted critters they have will now have a good chance of being your problem as well (aiptasia, bubble algae, hydroids, etc.).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting question! Everyone has a different way to approach this and there are many opinions. Typically I will buy used equipment that I can clean thoroughly (and sterilize if possible). You will often pay 50-70% of retail for name brand used equipment if it is in good condition. It may not have the box, but the equipment should be fully functional. Any name brand equipment selling for 50% or less is either a good deal or may have an issue. I have found that non-name brand equipment doesn't always hold up and is hit or miss.

If you buy live rock (or similar porous items) then you are inheriting all of the good and the bad with it. If someone is getting out of the hobby then there may be additional issues (e.g., algae, pests, etc.). While not everyone would take this path, if I were to get live rock from an unknown system then I would fully sterilize the rock (no longer live rock) and then reestablish the bacteria. IMO it is a much longer process with much less risk. Good luck with whatever you choose!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking only for myself... whenever someone local winds down their tank, my LFS usually ends up with the fish - and I jump at the chance to go "window shopping". They are usually well-behaved, get along with any fish and disease-free.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, folks! Does anyone have any tips or opinions on what types of equipment and livestock to buy used through a local marine aquarium society vs. new through online/LFS? I see a lot of locals getting out of the hobby and selling just about everything. Live rock from an established tank looks particularly appetizing -- any concerns about adding rock from an unknown system to start your tank? (And how to mitigate those concerns, if they can be mitigated?) Thank you!
If you go for someone else’s rock, make sure you look it over carefully. if it looks good and isn’t covered With a mass breakout of undesirable critters, then go for it.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a used UV, Check to see how much a new Lamp and Seals, if they are replaceable, will cost. That used UV, May not be a Bargain. I would also check to see if the parts are even available. BTW, Avoid non-OEM Lamps off of Amazon and eBay.

OP
OP
Rozeen

Rozeen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone! Can most common pests found on live rock survive an extended period in a saltwater barrel without light or food? I would imagine that the bacteria would survive and it would be much better than completely killing the rock?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pests and algae are amazingly resilient. Although I don’t have specific time frames, it is a ridiculously long time.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone! Can most common pests found on live rock survive an extended period in a saltwater barrel without light or food? I would imagine that the bacteria would survive and it would be much better than completely killing the rock?
Maybe not the parent, but a number of pests have some mechanism to survive long periods dormant. Given the risk, I’m with Peace River: Bleach, dry, rinse, dry, restart bacteria. Maybe throw an acid bath in there for good measure.

OP
OP
Rozeen

Rozeen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on starting with live rock, but I'm questioning that now. When you say restart bacteria, do you have a particular product in mind? I've seen some recommendations for Dr. Tim's.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on starting with live rock, but I'm questioning that now. When you say restart bacteria, do you have a particular product in mind? I've seen some recommendations for Dr. Tim's.
If you want to go dry rock, I recommend using Dr. Tim's One and Only. Worked great for me, using dry rock

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never trust a used heater. Be wary of any equipment that's "mission critical". Anything that could nuke you're tank if it failed. Besides that, make to carefully inspect and test anything. I have bought 1000s of dollars worth of equipment used on fb marketplace for pennies on the dollar, that I'm just hoarding for a vague future build. I seeded dry rock with some rock I got from an lfs and some from a local reefer breaking down a tank. I'm glad I did, it gave me a ton of biodiversity. However you have to weigh that against the possibility of pests, don't add any from a system that you know has pests. Ask why they're breaking it down.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never trust a used heater. Be wary of any equipment that's "mission critical". Anything that could nuke you're tank if it failed. Besides that, make to carefully inspect and test anything. I have bought 1000s of dollars worth of equipment used on fb marketplace for pennies on the dollar, that I'm just hoarding for a vague future build. I seeded dry rock with some rock I got from an lfs and some from a local reefer breaking down a tank. I'm glad I did, it gave me a ton of biodiversity. However you have to weigh that against the possibility of pests, don't add any from a system that you know has pests. Ask why they're breaking it down.
I'd like to second this too by saying it can be worthwhile to spend more upfront than cheap out and have something break down and potentially crash your tank.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused on the "Used livestock" statement. There's no manufacturer of "live stock". Fish that come from the ocean vs. a local aquarium club? If that's the question, would prefer something that's been alive for a couple years in a person's home aquarium over buying something shipped from the ocean to a wholesaler, then shipped from a wholesaler to an aquarium store, then shipped from an aquarium store to me? Seems like a lot of stress that is much more extreme than what a fish that's been doing good in a club's home aquarium where they want to trade or sell the fish for some reason (getting out of the hobby, want to have different livestock, etc).

OP
OP
Rozeen

Rozeen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused on the "Used livestock" statement. There's no manufacturer of "live stock". Fish that come from the ocean vs. a local aquarium club? If that's the question, would prefer something that's been alive for a couple years in a person's home aquarium over buying something shipped from the ocean to a wholesaler, then shipped from a wholesaler to an aquarium store, then shipped from an aquarium store to me? Seems like a lot of stress that is much more extreme than what a fish that's been doing good in a club's home aquarium where they want to trade or sell the fish for some reason (getting out of the hobby, want to have different livestock, etc).
Thanks for your advice. I should have worded it better. I meant from another hobbyist as opposed to a retailer.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO, getting your rock, livestock, etc from a known source is helpful. Getting live rock from a source like Tampa Bay Saltwater is a good option.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, getting your rock, livestock, etc from a known source is helpful. Getting live rock from a source like Tampa Bay Saltwater is a good option.
Strongly recommend Tampa Bay Saltwater as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back