Tired of fighting phosphates. About to call it quits.

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had my 15G peninsula for a little over a year. Been fighting high phosphates for at least the past 6 months. This hobby is no longer fun. I've lost lots of corals. I've used gfo, rowaphos, phosphate e, elimi phos. I have 2 clowns. I feed pellets once a day. I've tested my water source. My phosphates are regularly at least .4. I have caribsea liferock. Was thinking about completely replacing the rocks but without knowing where the phosphate is coming from, don't want to do that yet. Any last ditch effort I can try?

20231205_160559.jpg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is your water change schedule? I used dry Marco rock when I set up my 50 and I can’t keep phosphates. Maybe add a piece of dry rock and let it soak it up?

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the struggles. Following along.

It might help to most more information about the parameters of the tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't start the tank with high phosphates then it had to be imported, with the likelihood that it came in on your fish food. Now it is adhered to the rocks and sandbed and as you bind it up with chemicals the excess will continue to come off the rocks and sand and keep your phosphates elevated.

Stop feeding pellets, the likely sorce of P and find something with low phosphate content to feed the clowns, and feed them like prisoners in a POW camp.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I use rodi. I have a 4 stage system. I don't follow a strict water change schedule but even after a water change, it doesn't help.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the levels, and are they constant or do they spike?

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you didn't start the tank with high phosphates then it had to be imported, with the likelihood that it came in on your fish food. Now it is adhered to the rocks and sandbed and as you bind it up with chemicals the excess will continue to come off the rocks and sand and keep your phosphates elevated.

Stop feeding pellets, the likely sorce of P and find something with low phosphate content to feed the clowns, and feed them like prisoners in a POW camp.
So what's your suggestion besides stop the pellets? Change out the rocks and sand?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried mixing a batch of fresh saltwater and then testing a sample for phosphate?

If that tests ok, that tank is small enough to tear down, clean with fresh saltwater, and set back up. Then monitor going forward. Skip the pellets, feed frozen.

Your post history shows you’ve been dealing with high phosphate for 18 months. I would think it is water source or food intake.

Could someone else be adding food, too?

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I started having similar problems with a 75G that I no longer have. I have tested my rodi water but I can do it again.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nope I'm the only person adding food. My wife makes fun of me for having such a "fun" hobby. Lol

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there inverts in the tank? A clean up crew would be a good idea. Turbos, hermits, conch, periscope snails, emerald crabs. Would help to get rid of detritus. Maybe a HOB Refugium would export nutrients. They can be very useful and attractive. Also a great place for copepods to live. Good luck. You got this

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets are very rich with nutrients. Anything that doesn't get eaten is just gonna dissolve into your water. Yes they're good feed but in a tank that small with limited things to consume them they will definitely cause problems when they break down. Once they sink your filtration won't pick them up.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm using Hanna to test. Not feeding corals because of the phosphate issues. Yes I had a bunch of inverts but they die I assume from the high phosphates. There are still some inverts in there.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had my 15G peninsula for a little over a year. Been fighting high phosphates for at least the past 6 months. This hobby is no longer fun. I've lost lots of corals. I've used gfo, rowaphos, phosphate e, elimi phos. I have 2 clowns. I feed pellets once a day. I've tested my water source. My phosphates are regularly at least .4. I have caribsea liferock. Was thinking about completely replacing the rocks but without knowing where the phosphate is coming from, don't want to do that yet. Any last ditch effort I can try?

20231205_160559.jpg
I wouldn’t replace anything and it’s a small enough tank we should be able to triage the issue.

As someone else said, is that hair algae? I’d try some more natural ways to lower phosphates like bacteria dosing Microbacter Clean. It’s not immediate gratification, but it works well. Stick to a weekly water change, again small tank should be easy. Test RODI, when was the last time you changed the filters? Lastly, what is your clean up crew? Might be worth expanding your CUC for algae growth and to pick up left over food.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Hanna to test. Not feeding corals because of the phosphate issues. Yes I had a bunch of inverts but they die I assume from the high phosphates. There are still some inverts in there.
I have good news: 0.4ppm PO4 will NOT kill corals. Yes, you heard that correctly!

The corals are retracted and dying from some other reason.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back