Tisbe Biminiensis culture looks like glitter?

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have been having lots of trouble culturing my Tisbe Pods. I only seem to be able to find 3-4 pods in each of my culture (visible to the naked eye). However, when I shine a light from the side, it looks almost like glitter, tonnes and tonnes of tiny tiny specks reflecting off the light. Way too small to be able to distinguish anything or even see if the specks are moving. I'm assuming these are young pods, but they also never seem to be growing up?
Essentially what I am asking is, what do your Tisbe Pod cultures look like? Are they full of recognisable adult pods? I know they are a small species so I am wondering if what I am waiting for will never come, which is a culture full of visible adult pods. Thank You

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a few weeks of feeding to get a population explosion. With that being said it really depends on the conditon of your starter. If you got a bunch of dead ones, then it might take a long time.

Nauplii width: 55-140 m wide * Adult length:0.70 -1.0 mm * Nauplii to egg producing age: 9-12 days * Life span: 15-20 days *

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a few weeks of feeding to get a population explosion. With that being said it really depends on the conditon of your starter. If you got a bunch of dead ones, then it might take a long time.

Nauplii width: 55-140 m wide * Adult length:0.70 -1.0 mm * Nauplii to egg producing age: 9-12 days * Life span: 15-20 days *
Apologies I wrote out a reply and forgot to hit the send ;Facepalm
I think what it is, is Ciliates have invaded my colony. I see a rogue pod amongs the millions of ciliates. I'm not sure if there is a way to reasonably seperate them? Or if the pods and ciliates will go exist together? Or if the whole "culture" needs throwing out.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would depend on the species. Some prey, Some eat phyto, Some eat ditritus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back