Title: Seeking Advice: Upgrading Lighting for IM15 Mixed Reef - Kessil 360w or 160w?

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey fellow reef enthusiasts,
I find myself in an exciting predicament and could really use some guidance from the experienced members of this community. Recently, I came across an irresistible offer for a Kessil 360w and 160w lighting system. Currently, I have an IM15 tank with a K7 Pro Mini, alongside two smaller tanks, namely the IM10 with AI Prime 16 and the Lifeguard 3.8 with a Kessil A80.

Considering the amazing offer, I can't resist the temptation to upgrade my lighting system. However, I'm uncertain which Kessil light would be the best fit for my IM15. So, I thought I'd turn to this knowledgeable community for some advice.

Here are my current thoughts:

1. Kessil 360w: This light offers a higher wattage, which could potentially provide more intensity and coverage for my mixed reef. However, I'm concerned about the light being too powerful for the IM15 tank's size. Has anyone used the Kessil 360w on a similar-sized tank? How was your experience? Did it lead to any issues like excessive heat or light saturation?
  2. Kessil 160w: This light seems like a slightly more conservative choice in terms of wattage, which might be more appropriate for my IM15. While it may not provide as much power as the Kessil 360w, it could still offer sufficient lighting for my mixed reef. Has anyone used the Kessil 160w on a similar-sized tank? How did it perform in terms of coverage and color blending?
I'm torn between these options and would greatly appreciate any insights, personal experiences, or recommendations you can share. Feel free to suggest any other considerations or alternatives that might help me make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for your valuable input!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Kessil lights, but I did run a AI Prime 16HD which I upgrade to a Radion XR30 G5 Blue on my IM Fusion 25-gallon (with radically dialed down intensity, of course). What are the two Kessil lights being offered for? (that may help with recommendations from other R2R members)

OP
OP
Fapman

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there!

Thank you for your response and sharing your experience with lighting on your IM Fusion 25-gallon tank. It's always helpful to hear about different setups and how they have worked for fellow hobbyists.

The two Kessil lights being offered are the Kessil 360w and 160w. The Kessil 360w is a higher-wattage option, while the Kessil 160w provides slightly less power. I'm considering these lights as potential upgrades for my IM15 mixed reef tank, and I'm seeking advice on which one would be the better fit.

If any other R2R members have used either the Kessil 360w or 160w lights, it would be fantastic to hear about their experiences and any recommendations they may have. Additionally, if there are any considerations specific to the IM15 tank or general suggestions regarding lighting for mixed reef setups, I'm eager to learn from the community's expertise.

Once again, I appreciate your input, and I'm looking forward to further insights from fellow R2R members!

Thank you!

OP
OP
Fapman

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey fellow aquarists! Just wanted to share my lighting setup for my IM15 and IM10 tanks. I decided to mount both lights on my IM15, using the 360we light, and on my IM10, I went with the Kessil 160w. This combination has been working great so far, providing ample lighting for my aquariums.

I have them turned down intensity wise very low.

IMG_1523.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back