Title: "Urgent Help Needed: Curing a Yellow Tang's Condition, black hole appear on the tang"

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow aquarists and marine enthusiasts , I need some advice. Recently, my yellow tang developed a noticeable hole or injury, and I'm concerned about its well-being.

Has anyone experienced this before or knows how to effectively treat such wounds in yellow tangs? Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Let's come together to ensure the health and happiness of our underwater friends. #YellowTangCare #FishHealth"

IMG_2576.jpeg IMG_2574.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow aquarists and marine enthusiasts , I need some advice. Recently, my yellow tang developed a noticeable hole or injury, and I'm concerned about its well-being.

Has anyone experienced this before or knows how to effectively treat such wounds in yellow tangs? Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Let's come together to ensure the health and happiness of our underwater friends. #YellowTangCare #FishHealth"

IMG_2576.jpeg IMG_2574.jpeg

That does look look an injury. Any idea as to how that could have happened? What other fish is it in with?

The trouble is that this hole is directly over the coelomic cavity. If the hole breaches that, the fish may develop peritonitis. In turn, that will be VERY difficult to treat effectively.

Jay

OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look look an injury. Any idea as to how that could have happened? What other fish is it in with?

The trouble is that this hole is directly over the coelomic cavity. If the hole breaches that, the fish may develop peritonitis. In turn, that will be VERY difficult to treat effectively.

Jay

The yellow tang is with 2 clowns, a whip fin fairy wrasse, and an orangespotted filefish. So do mix the food with selcon help to increase the fish immute system?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bite mark. Looks very frightened. Loss of colour.
If the attack is finished, most heal in a few weeks by doing nothing.
Keep waters stable, feed as normal.
Watch for an aggressor.
Separate if necessary

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with jay and uncle. That said - the fish itself looks thin and in poor condition - what are you feeding with? Is it eating, etc. As @Jay Hemdal said - it looks like an injury near the 'intestinal cavity'. My comment - is it a fistula from inside to out?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang is with 2 clowns, a whip fin fairy wrasse, and an orangespotted filefish. So do mix the food with selcon help to increase the fish immute system?

It sure looks like a bite mark, but I don't see any fish in your collection that would do that. The clownfish *might* have gotten a lucky bite in.

Selcon isn't going to help in this instance.

Jay

OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes a juvenile from Biota, has been eating very well. I feed him nori, frozen food, pe pallet and flakes. It’s not look like an fistula from inside to out

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hes a juvenile from Biota, has been eating very well. I feed him nori, frozen food, pe pallet and flakes. It’s not look like an fistula from inside to out
Thanks - then observation is likely the best option as others have said

OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, is his belly is too big? He still eating and roaming around a lot. @Jay Hemdal, @MnFish1

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2613.jpeg
    IMG_2613.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2614.jpeg
    IMG_2614.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the VitaChem and Selcon to the food and seaweed. Try to mix up different food for every meal.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rescue Yellow Tang with HLLE confined to just Hole in the Head. Fed SB Frozen Seafood Assortment, with seven drops of Selcon on the frozen cube, thawed and fed everyday for about three weeks. Went every other day, when it was almost healed over every three days. Completely healed and the Aquariums get Frozen Cubes with Selcon, every three to five days. Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, as it is a fat based Vitamin Solution. Shake well and pump the dropper bulb a couple times.

OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rescue Yellow Tang with HLLE confined to just Hole in the Head. Fed SB Frozen Seafood Assortment, with seven drops of Selcon on the frozen cube, thawed and fed everyday for about three weeks. Went every other day, when it was almost healed over every three days. Completely healed and the Aquariums get Frozen Cubes with Selcon, every three to five days. Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, as it is a fat based Vitamin Solution. Shake well and pump the dropper bulb a couple times.
What is the SB Frozen Seafood Assortment? Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you try the non-constipating foods? More frozen shrimp, etc less prepared foods?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the SB Frozen Seafood Assortment? Thanks
It’s called a “Saltwater Multi-Pack.” Any PetCo should have it. BTW, I‘ve seen on more than one occasion, frozen food allowed to completely thaw at our PetSmart, before they put it in the freezer. Not so at the PetCo’s. Also there is Angel & Butterflyfish my Tang goes nuts over.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about your Biota YT. He looks skinny to me in the photos. How long have you had him? What size was he when you got him?

I have a beautiful YT from Biota that I got 2 years ago. Started off about the size of maybe a 50 cents piece and is now about 4 inches long...

He did have that lateral line issue, which I understand is a dietary deficiency, but otherwise is happy and very healthy. Personally I think the lateral line thing gives him personality.

IMG_0184-3.jpg

OP
OP
T

todamoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s called a “Saltwater Multi-Pack.” Any PetCo should have it. BTW, I‘ve seen on more than one occasion, frozen food allowed to completely thaw at our PetSmart, before they put it in the freezer. Not so at the PetCo’s. Also there is Angel & Butterflyfish my Tang goes nuts over.
I just have him for 2 months, he is the size of the 50 cent. I also feed him Reef Frenzy Nano. So can I feed him frozen shrimp from the super market?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just have him for 2 months, he is the size of the 50 cent. I also feed him Reef Frenzy Nano. So can I feed him frozen shrimp from the super market?
This is helpful. Young fish should look 'fat' - this one certainly (to me) - does not look thin. They are constantly eating when thin. I would stick with feeds such as suggested by @vetteguy53081. As long are there are no other symptoms - I would ignore this 'problem - which I'm not sure is a problem'. If I were you I would send pictures to Biota - and question them in all honesty

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish may be too small for supermarket shrimp but brine- mysis shrimp good as well as small package of LRS nano frenzy which has bite size pieces for smaller fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back