To copper or not to copper (10 days post qt of my blue tang)

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby blue hippo tang and qt'ed him immediately. Meanwhile I was setting up a 50 G 6 month tank for him and 2-3 other smaller fish.

He is in a 10g and was stressed the first two days so I was just waiting for ich to come out, and begin treatment. I was warned by an LFS that copper could kill baby fish like that, and they usually handle ich by feeding healthy. (this is also a different store than where I bought dory from)/

Its been 10 days and the tang is doing great. I feed 2x daily, mostly omnivore formula with selcon and some seaweed dipped in selcon. No ich, no signs of illness.

My LFS has recommended to skip the copper and go straight into the 50 g. When I think about it- he seemed fine during massive times of stress. I was thinking of just adding a UV filter to my 50 G display and letting him in there.
What do you guys think?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby blue hippo tang and qt'ed him immediately. Meanwhile I was setting up a 50 G 6 month tank for him and 2-3 other smaller fish.

He is in a 10g and was stressed the first two days so I was just waiting for ich to come out, and begin treatment. I was warned by an LFS that copper could kill baby fish like that, and they usually handle ich by feeding healthy. (this is also a different store than where I bought dory from)/

Its been 10 days and the tang is doing great. I feed 2x daily, mostly omnivore formula with selcon and some seaweed dipped in selcon. No ich, no signs of illness.

My LFS has recommended to skip the copper and go straight into the 50 g. When I think about it- he seemed fine during massive times of stress. I was thinking of just adding a UV filter to my 50 G display and letting him in there.
What do you guys think?
QT the fish.

And I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way... That species has no business being in a 50 gallon tank.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with LFS, skip copper and put it in the biggest most stable tank. Ever since I stopped worrying about ich and keeping fish healthy with lots of food and a good environment, I stopped getting it. Even if he shows ich in the display, if it is healthy it’s immune system will eventually keep the ich away.
Eventually it will need 180+ gallon. I hate seeing LFS sell “Dori” to people with small tanks not knowing it will eventually need a bigger tank. But you can always sell it or trade it back when it gets too big for a 50.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT the fish.

And I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way... That species has no business being in a 50 gallon tank.
Ill just help you with some facts
It can do just fine in a 50 gallon tank for 6 months. There is no set number on how big of a house such a tiny fish Needs

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill just help you with some facts
It can do just fine in a 50 gallon tank for 6 months. There is no set number on how big of a house such a tiny fish Needs
First time owning one? You bought a fish to own it for six months?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a tiny fish up the feedings. The babies need to eat. I grew one from the size of a dime to an 8” beast. Enjoy watching him grow.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
750DA1B7-070E-41C8-AE8D-650A43B4EF01.jpeg

hippo tangs can very skittish in new tanks wanting to hide all day long for about a week. The important thing is they eat. This baby hippo about 1inch went into 1ppm copper and metro on day one. Also added methylene blue to the transport bag as it temp acclimated. I spent a week getting from 1ppm to 2ppm chelated copper. Raising twice a day .07ppm using a hanna checker to verify. I find the smaller ones no more copper sensitive than the larger ones for this particular species.

Fed a mix of hikari algae extreme, nori and Live baby brine.

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish tank.jpeg

First time owning one? You bought a fish to own it for six months?

Second time. And the amount of times I own a fish is irrelevant to the facts.
1) If they need miles and miles to swim in the ocean the difference between a 4 foot and a 6 foot tank isnt going to change anything.
This guy owned all of these fish in a 65 G at that size for years without any issues
2) A 1 inch dory does not need a 180 G if a 6 inch dory needs the same.
3) The bio load is relevant if Dory is the only one in the tank
4) Read, Read, Read "Meanwhile I was setting up a 50 G 6 month tank for him"
The US has a 99% literacy rate, dont classify yourself in the other 1%

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing observation only QT, then I would go much longer than 10 days. 30 would be better.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second time. And the amount of times I own a fish is irrelevant to the facts.
1) If they need miles and miles to swim in the ocean the difference between a 4 foot and a 6 foot tank isnt going to change anything.
This guy owned all of these fish in a 65 G at that size for years without any issues
2) A 1 inch dory does not need a 180 G if a 6 inch dory needs the same.
3) The bio load is relevant if Dory is the only one in the tank
4) Read, Read, Read "Meanwhile I was setting up a 50 G 6 month tank for him"
The US has a 99% literacy rate, dont classify yourself in the other 1%
Haha, changing your words as a quote when I already quoted what you said. Don't be ridiculous with your literacy nonsense. I'd guess 99% of ornamental fish keepers are irresponsible, don't give the 1% a bad wrap. But hey, knock yourself out. Throw that fish in your system, no qt, good luck, buddy. :p

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, changing your words as a quote when I already quoted what you said. Don't be ridiculous with your literacy nonsense. I'd guess 99% of ornamental fish keepers are irresponsible, don't give the 1% a bad wrap. But hey, knock yourself out. Throw that fish in your system, no qt, good luck, buddy. :p

There are no words changing here or there. You are unable to read.
Regarding no qt, my original post also says "I got a baby blue hippo tang and qt'ed him immediately"
When I discuss literacy rates I am indicating you're unable to communicate on a forum because you fail to read basic texts in front of your eyes. Its very sad really.
And dont worry my fish will do just fine because I am able to use logic.
Enjoy

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no words changing here or there. You are unable to read.
Regarding no qt, my original post also says "I got a baby blue hippo tang and qt'ed him immediately"
When I discuss literacy rates I am indicating you're unable to communicate on a forum because you fail to read basic texts in front of your eyes. Its very sad really.
And dont worry my fish will do just fine because I am able to use logic.
Enjoy
10 days is not qt. So let's use some logic. I'll point you in the right direction to get you started on the right foot in this hobby. I'll also point out an important thing to understand from Humblefish's thread.

All but two diseases - ich and flukes - will usually show themselves with visible symptoms within 1 month of QT. Ich may or may not have visible symptoms (white “sprinkles” on the fish), and flukes rarely are seen unless the fish is afflicted by Neobenedenia or badly infected (with cloudy eyes).​

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days is not qt. So let's use some logic. I'll point you in the right direction to get you started on the right foot in this hobby. I'll also point out an important thing to understand from Humblefish's thread.

All but two diseases - ich and flukes - will usually show themselves with visible symptoms within 1 month of QT. Ich may or may not have visible symptoms (white “sprinkles” on the fish), and flukes rarely are seen unless the fish is afflicted by Neobenedenia or badly infected (with cloudy eyes).​

Im sorry there is 0 logic in there and just someone spewing out what they think is right.
It takes 14 days for copper to kill Ich , whether it shows up or doesnt.
A healthy fish will fight off ich. Simple as that.

dont need any more of your saas thanks.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry there is 0 logic in there and just someone spewing out what they think is right.
It takes 14 days for copper to kill Ich , whether it shows up or doesnt.
A healthy fish will fight off ich. Simple as that.

dont need any more of your saas thanks.
Hahaha. Okay. Good luck, buddy. Your threads have been good on here, I look forward to seeing more.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case we need some levity :), its also 1am here so I am bit loopy.

-The King of Hearts is the only king in a deck of cards without a mustache

-Pogonophobia is the fear of beards.

-Mulan has the highest kill-count of any Disney character.

-The inventor of Pringles is buried in a Pringles can.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not copper, at least do TTM. Your LFS is wrong about skipping treatment altogether and just throwing him in the display.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, we realize that sometimes emotions run high in these threads. Please remember to treat one another with respect even when disagreeing. That is the best way to keep discussion progressing in a positive direction. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back