To cycle or not to cycle?

Mrflameangel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have upgraded to a 180 from a 60 cube. Now I have put 200lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand into the tank. About half of the water was already used water from a previous tank and the other half was freshly made. I have also seen 4 crabs in the water that was hiding in the rocks from when I took them out of the previous tank (still kicking after staying in the garage for 2 weeks in a stock tank). I am also using microbacter7 since day one. I am on day #5 with the following numbers.

Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8
Sg-1.026

Now, I was thinking it might have a very short cycle (due to the amount of live rock i put into the system) but it's beginning to look as if I will not have one at all. What are your thought?

Thanks mike.

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along
So I have upgraded to a 180 from a 60 cube. Now I have put 200lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand into the tank. About half of the water was already used water from a previous tank and the other half was freshly made. I have also seen 4 crabs in the water that was hiding in the rocks from when I took them out of the previous tank (still kicking after staying in the garage for 2 weeks in a stock tank). I am also using microbacter7 since day one. I am on day #5 with the following numbers.

Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8
Sg-1.026

Now, I was thinking it might have a very short cycle (due to the amount of live rock i put into the system) but it's beginning to look as if I will not have one at all. What are your thought?

Thanks mike.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tests are you using? I would expect to see at least some nitrates if not some nitrites and ammonia at some point.

Edit: I disagree with the post above, you should see at least some nitrates with a move like that unless your tank was impeccably clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mrflameangel

Mrflameangel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is to wait one more week and if nothing begins to cycle I will begin to add my fish and corals that are at the baby sitters tank.

OP
OP
Mrflameangel

Mrflameangel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ammonia, nitrite and ph I am using salifert.

I am using red sea for nitrates. The color changed just a little on the nitrates but is still less than 0.25ppm.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since some of that rock is "fresh" rock I assume and I'm sure 40lbs of sand has a lot of debris I think you'll have some sort of cycle, I'd watch the nitrates and would still proceed slowly with a 180g.

GL on the tank!

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and dose a little ammonia bring it to a few ppm and see how long it takes to bring it back to 0 and 0 trites. If 0 within 24hrs your good

OP
OP
Mrflameangel

Mrflameangel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 60lbs of rock came from my cube. The rest of the rock was bought live and put in my garage curing in brute trash cans. The sand was all new out of the bag very clean.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the almost same when I moved from a 50 into a 115. I moved all my inverts and corals over immediately - the fish followed a couple of days later. Never saw a cycle.
I didn't wait 5 days - you must be a patient man...

If it were my call, I'd say your good to go...

tangs are awsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have a cycle of some sort. Put three small fish in the tank feed them a small amount dialy. From what I read in your post you only have crabs in the tank. your live rock will keep up with those guys no problem. I think when you go to stock it you will see big problems. I just borke down my 100 gallon to change the substrate and noticed a cycle. I took 100 lbs of rock out and kept them in a clean container with salt water for a couple days and put every thing right back in the tank. Keep in mind I have two wet dry systems and a 30 gallon refugium going. There are six or so fish in my tank. I still had a cycle. There is not enough living creatures to show a cycle in your set up right now. be careful.

OP
OP
Mrflameangel

Mrflameangel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrites raised just enough to change the color of the test. My nitrates went to 0.50ppm and now is back at 0. Fish will hit the system this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back