To do or not to do..

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue.... ive resisted the urge until now but my local LFS has one thats been in legitimate QT for 3 weeks. I have QT & isolation tanks as well. So is it worth the risk?!?!?

Need some opinions and experiences since almost everyone says dont do it

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If and only if you intend on it being your last fish. They can be quite intolerant of newcomers once established. It doesn't have to be another tang or even anything with a similar body shape sometimes they just hate newcomers.

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing i would potentially add later is potters/leopard wrasse or smthg along those lines. And he will be in qt for a month min so id try to find these guys while he is

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a mean but beautiful fish. If you can accommodate it and want it, and know how to care for it, I say go ahead. Add it last, definitely though.

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sohal in 1 QT and was thinking maybe put those 2 in last & at the same time

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add them both at the same time if they're going to be your last fish. Never owned a Sohal, it might give the PB a run for its money.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to add the Sohal and the PB together. I would also suggest finding the wrasses and getting them in on the same day as well, avoid any possible problems with aggression if you can.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the dt? Sohals have a ton of attitude and can be relentless to other Acanthurus as they mature.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lfs-fish-“treatment”-the-“sudden”-need-for-quarantine.308/

Read that article about LFS quarantine and how it's not really possible (or financially viable to do so - unless that fish is about $200+ there's almost a zero percent chance they've properly qt'd the fish)

And regarding the importance of proper qt in acanthurus tangs, check this one out:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ich-and-acanthurus-tangs-years-of-experience-and-ich-management.106/

I hate to be a Debbie downer... I also have an article about tang aggression but it looks like that base has been covered! :)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the dt? Sohals have a ton of attitude and can be relentless to other Acanthurus as they mature.

this needs to be answered. I HOPE this is a 180 or larger. Sohal are awesome fish. I miss mine dearly but he was 11" and just got too big. Both need to go in together or you are asking for trouble.

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im holding off on powder blue. I went to get him and even the store owner talked me out of it.. im
Going to wait til the new tank is in place. My display is 300 and upgrading to 550-600 while he is in QT. Ive had him 2mths in QT w other fish and he has been a model citizen to this point.

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish, eating agressively but walk up to tank and he turns himself white so it was an easy pass for now

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue is passive. Bar none my purple is the biggest prick I've ever had, even above my clown trigger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back