To frag, or not to frag....?

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
14
Location
South Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 polyp colony of seductions... I have lugols and plugs. Just can't bring myself to cut one polyp off with the risk of the whole colony melting. Want to sell it but want one polyp for myself so I can admire them and continue to grow them. Any advice when it comes to razor blades and where to cut along with likelihood of them melting on me. Wondering if I should just sell the colony and not cut it... thoughts?
 
I frag mine regularly. Brand new blade, scrape the rock or use a saw or dremel. Just like any other paly. I've never had any issues with them personally. They don't seem as touchy or sensitive as some other PE. Just my .02
 
I never cut the actual paly except for where they connect with other polyps...just cut it with the rock and dip it, if anything melts it'll be the frag not the colony
 
I never cut the actual paly except for where they connect with other polyps...just cut it with the rock and dip it, if anything melts it'll be the frag not the colony
What do you mean by with the rock? I dont have a saw, just razor blades.
 
Don't need a saw, just slowly dig the razor blade underneath the palys and a thin layer of rock, then glue the little sliver of rock onto a plug. I've done this with super dense frag plugs as well
 
Don't need a saw, just slowly dig the razor blade underneath the palys and a thin layer of rock, then glue the little sliver of rock onto a plug. I've done this with super dense frag plugs as well
Oh alright. Didnt know about that! How many drops of lugols do you do per gallon of water? Isnt it like 2 or something
 
No idea on that lol, I haven't used lugol's. I've just used the seachem reef dip which is iodine based
 
how about few polyps off the edge, to alleviate as much stress as possible on the entire colony. Nice separation with clean, sharp scalpel
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new