To fuge or not to fuge: Have you had a refugium?

Have you had a refugium?

• Yes, I currently have a refugium.

Votes: 182 52.3%
  • Yes, I have had a refugium in the past.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • No, but I plan to have a refugium in the future.

Votes: 68 19.5%
  • No and I have no plans to have a refugium in the future.

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank dimensions are 4x2, 10” height.
1ft is rock, 2x2 10” height is algae.
I pull 25% per month.
IMG_2021.jpeg
IMG_2026.jpeg

Last edited:

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bought a HOB refuguim and have never regretted it. Wanted an in sump solution but didn’t account for my oversized skimmer ( 250-INT). Just wish I could find an overflow guard to keep the noise down. It sits on my sump
IMG_3323.jpeg
I'm guessing it's the waterfall sound? Maybe a diy chute or 3D print one?

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have currently is a 15IM cube. Not a fan of the HoB fuges out there from an aesthetic perspective - but the idea of a fuge is intriguing to me. Guess I’ll just have to upgrade to a large tank with a sump

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a fuge a couple different times. Saw little to no benefit as far as dropping nutrients. If the goal is to remove nutrients a good skimmer is the best way in my opinion. It's certainly not for lack of space as my sump has a huge compartment for one. I just didn't think the benefit was worth the tradeoff of having a filthy sump. I removed my dividers and threw another skimmer in there I had sitting around. Maybe it's just me but I like a neat clean looking sump. The constant cleaning of my equipment that would get fouled with film/hair algae because of the grow light was another reason I got rid of my refugium. The problems it created outweighed the benefits for me.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had them in FW, been studying them since the 70s (FW planted tanks) then ATS late 80s and now experimenting in salt but mostly for pH management as I already know they are excellent for nutrient export. Current experiment a hybrid between an ATS and true Fuge by utilizing GHA since it's easily obtained, but that has shown me it comes with many issues and it's just ugly. Now taking this project down and moving to using other macroalgae such as Dragon's Breath as I not only want nutrient export and pH management but also a food source or better option for trade than Chaeto plus trying to avoid that which might cause flow issues or gather detritus.

Ultimately, main reason to house a Fuge will be if I continue to struggle with co2 or want to reduce evaporation as last I want is mold from a large tank in an air tight south Florida habitation and pH likely best solved with an air exchanger which won't be in place until I need to replace my AC. Seems most cost efficient and logistically clean to do it then.

Barring the need to increase pH or add oxygen the need on my end for a Fuge lessens with the advent of carbon dosing and other means to fight nutrients. Adding a Fuge does add another layer of failure and another life form to maintain with physical pruning, adding depleted trace and the space to do it correctly plus more lighting. Given an option. I'd stay away. KISS my approach.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has a pile of rubble rocks and sand with no light. Some was live rock and live sand but most was dry & dead before it went in. It is a simply creature nest... pods, sponges, tube worms, brittle stars, & anything that gets banned from the display tank.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other. I wish I had a refugium, but I do not have the space nor the know how to add one, so I do not have one.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like refugiums and I've had successful ones in the past.

Once my current tank gets old enough and I need nutrient export I'll add one. For now, my system is only about seven weeks old and I think I'd be causing more problems than I solve.

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said no, and for two reasons.

First, we have these giant tanks and expect a little bit of chaeto to soak up all the nutrients. Water needs to move through the refugium slowly. Our typical sump setup is much too fast for that.
Even if it was slower, there's not enough room in the in-sump refugium to make any real difference.

Second, we have no control over the nutrients the refugium media eats. We can't add more one day and then remove it the next day. That's a hassle.

I use biopellets and GFO. With that, I can set the Hydros to run these reactors for a set time a day. Nitrate starts creeping up? Increase the time on the biopellet reactor. Phosphates go too low? Run the GFO for a couple of hours less.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back