To much flow for biocube?

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently upgraded my return pump to the IM 538gph return pump, but it’s only at 40% currently. This pump has drained my water level in the 3rd chamber significantly and more water is now in the display. Would it hurt to drill more hole between the 2nd and 3rd chamber to increase more water in? I do have sea lettuce and chaeto in the fuge, so is it possible with the bigger pump, it keeps clogging the filter between the chambers ? If so, I would I prevent it from clogging up?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow can’t handle the pump. I would drill anything because junk can get through and won’t get filtered out

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow can’t handle the pump. I would drill anything because junk can get through and won’t get filtered out

So should I decrease the power? I upgraded because I attached a “Y” fitting for the output. With the other pump, it wasn’t enough flow getting into the display.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah missed that. Yes decrease the power then.

Yeah I’ll turn it down a bit and see how that will affect the tank. If it isn’t that much flow coming in, I’ll have to drill some hole and diy a filter or something so chaeto first come through.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ll turn it down a bit and see how that will affect the tank. If it isn’t that much flow coming in, I’ll have to drill some hole and diy a filter or something so chaeto first come through.

Does the tank have locline returns? If so you could try some VCA flow nozzles

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank have locline returns? If so you could try some VCA flow nozzles

Yeah I used Locline to form the Y outlet. I have a RFG nozzle on one and a spin stream nozzle on the other . If the chaeto and lettuce is what’s clogging up, I may try and build a diy fuge to raise it off the bottom too. I just thought of that.

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I used Locline to form the Y outlet. I have a RFG nozzle on one and a spin stream nozzle on the other . If the chaeto and lettuce is what’s clogging up, I may try and build a diy fuge to raise it off the bottom too. I just thought of that.
Could use the InTank media basket or fuge basket as well. Media basket has 4 sides and holds things together better, would stop chaeto from going everywhere

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could use the InTank media basket or fuge basket as well. Media basket has 4 sides and holds things together better, would stop chaeto from going everywhere

I actually do currently use the intank media rack. The problem was small pieces would get through the bottom and clog the filter pad up causing my water levels to go crazy in the back. What ending up working (at least so far) was i had an extra inrack shelf, so i glued on about 3 inches from the bottom for the fuge rack to help raise the chaeto up. That seems to be working better now.

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do currently use the intank media rack. The problem was small pieces would get through the bottom and clog the filter pad up causing my water levels to go crazy in the back. What ending up working (at least so far) was i had an extra inrack shelf, so i glued on about 3 inches from the bottom for the fuge rack to help raise the chaeto up. That seems to be working better now.
I'll keep that in mind, havent trimmed mine yet so it's a nice ball. But I'm sure after cutting it back I will have some of the same issues

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep that in mind, havent trimmed mine yet so it's a nice ball. But I'm sure after cutting it back I will have some of the same issues

Well this all started after I upgraded my return pump to the innovative marine return pump. It was fine before. I just need the extra flow for the duel nozzle returns. So if you are still using the stock pump, hopefully you won't run into the same problem.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back