To Mysid or not to Mysid?

Fitzty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am just coming out of a 75 day fallow period and have never seen so many pods. The introduction of a new macro algae have helped and added new types. I love it! I recently saw a tank with Mysid shrimp swimming around. I wanted some right away as these types of diversity are just as fascinating as the Fish. Here is my question. If I get Mysid to live in my sump, will they eat all my pod buddies? I am going to qt a mandarin and already have a leopard wrasse going back in. The tank is 240 up top with lots of live rock and sump is 60 gallons below. Lots of chaeto and a year old.
Will the shrimp be a cool add or be a choice to sacrifice the smaller pods and amphs? Also, if pro Mysid, any tips on how or where to get them?
Thanks!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the mysis in my tank because they swim around at night and it's fun to watch. They also make great midnight snacks for my corals. And I assume they also help a little with detritus removal. Also, why not just have both mysis and pods?

OP
OP
F

Fitzty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid they would eat the pods and actually compete with the mandarin and wrasse. Not the case for yours? What do they eat?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I always thought they were detritivores, but after some further research it turns out that they will prey on copepods in addition to eating waste and algae. In that case I guess it's just best to go with pods. However I have several mysis shrimp (like a 30-40) in my tank and I haven't seen a difference in pod numbers (which was never high to begin with). Maybe mine just keep the population stable

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back