To refugium or not?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have the Fuge light on?
I run them opposite of the display schedule. so approx 10 - 12 hrs.

I have a kinda long light period in my tank, but its led so its very low with a 6 hr long high peak.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a small chaeto refugium last week. I wish I had done it sooner. I'm using a small eheim pump to feed mine directly from the first chamber of my sump. I may modify the return plumbing at some point and tap off of that just to reduce equipment.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do not use one, however I do find the new chaeto reactors very temping. I think these will be the future of algae based export, I know several people with them and they are really happy. I like them because the light is contained and efficient and in years past I ran a fuge and they accumulated a lot of gunk if I had rock or sand in them, and then has issues with light growing algae in other parts of my sump and skimmer so added light barriers (cut plastic) but it was cluttered and I am not a fan of clutter.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mbr127-microalgae-reactor-skimz.html

MD has a HOB version too. This is the remote one.

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...luidized_Bed-AquaMaxx-UJ5355-FIFRISFB-vi.html

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 40B gal FOWLR only. I have an eshopps 100 hob skimmer and 3 aquaclear 70s for the tank. I am considering taking one of them and making them a refugium.

In doing so I am thinking live rock rubble and cheato. Is that wise?

Know of a small inexpensive light I could use for it? This will be hob so I don't really want a chrome looking shade like you find at a hardware store. Anyone know of a smaller gooseneck setup with a good bulb? Any info would be great. Thank you
lightwish...EBay is full of small, Chinese lights that will do the trick...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugia are cool, generally beneficial, but hardly essential. I've been keeping them (usually mulitples) on my main systems for decades, and assuming adequate size, they work quite well; a tiny one, beyond the placebo effect, is unlikely to have much effect however.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back