TO SOCK OR NOT TO SOCK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TOMACONDA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
For those wanting to vacuum their sump. This might be less effort and less wasteful of water. Alternative being an actual canister to periodically remove detritus and still stop wasting water. Easier methods to perform water changes yet this allows more frequent cleaning although I'm not in either camp. :)

MARINELAND MAGNUM POLISHING.jpg
 
Wow a shop vac ! What’s simple solution! I’ve been using siphon lol not easy
I use a small pump with plastic hose attached to a piece of ABS pipe with a screen installed upstream of pump so don't plug pump. Just lately I hooked a garden hose to the outlet and run it to the laundry tub. I run supply water through it when finished to stop salt residue, clean screen . Removes everything from sump. If too bad stop clean screen, and resume do not have to do it often. If interested will post pictures. I will find out if the lack of a sock matters. I still have some
 
For those wanting to vacuum their sump. This might be less effort and less wasteful of water. Alternative being an actual canister to periodically remove detritus and still stop wasting water. Easier methods to perform water changes yet this allows more frequent cleaning although I'm not in either camp. :)

MARINELAND MAGNUM POLISHING.jpg
I bought one about a month ago, and run it in my main tank I don't know whether to it give credit for disappearing detitus , or my now extensive clean up snails. I also run a canister fluval but it did not nor was meant to do this task. I am interested in how often you change the micron filter ( gets dirty fast ). They are VERY expensive. The marineland filter was recommended in a filmed videos of Rich Ross at some sort of rally
 
I use a small pump with plastic hose attached to a piece of ABS pipe with a screen installed upstream of pump so don't plug pump. Just lately I hooked a garden hose to the outlet and run it to the laundry tub. I run supply water through it when finished to stop salt residue, clean screen . Removes everything from sump. If too bad stop clean screen, and resume do not have to do it often. If interested will post pictures. I will find out if the lack of a sock matters. I still have some
I think this might be this first time I am excited to clean my sump to have like vacuum power :squinting-face-with-tongue::squinting-face-with-tongue:
 
I bought one about a month ago, and run it in my main tank I don't know whether to it give credit for disappearing detitus , or my now extensive clean up snails. I also run a canister fluval but it did not nor was meant to do this task. I am interested in how often you change the micron filter ( gets dirty fast ). They are VERY expensive. The marineland filter was recommended in a filmed videos of Rich Ross at some sort of rally
Bought mine around 2015 or 2017 when they were around $50. Everything has gotten more expensive. :crying-face:

Don't run a sump and was purely used to occasionally polish the water. The fine micron got clogged very quickly and why I then used it strictly with floss. Really depends on how dirty that sump gets but nice part being it stirs the water keeping mulm from settling in corners. Better solution would be a separate canister filtering that section and water returned to pump compartment. This should keep the sponge used to eliminate bubbles from clogging as often. Plus powerhead to keep mulm stirred.
 
I used socks for about 2-3 weeks but I find them disgusting and they gross me out. No way this is going in my washing machine and washing by hand is a pain.

So I just use a long strip of filter floss and change it every 5-6 days. It does the job.
 
Bought mine around 2015 or 2017 when they were around $50. Everything has gotten more expensive. :crying-face:

Don't run a sump and was purely used to occasionally polish the water. The fine micron got clogged very quickly and why I then used it strictly with floss. Really depends on how dirty that sump gets but nice part being it stirs the water keeping mulm from settling in corners. Better solution would be a separate canister filtering that section and water returned to pump compartment. This should keep the sponge used to eliminate bubbles from clogging as often. Plus powerhead to keep mulm stirred.
Dont like a sump much either. The main benefit is to keep filtration out of site and dont make it look like an operating room. I run a canister filter and a hang on back skimmer only on one tank ( only a 40 ) , and intend to do the same with a 48 x 19x 13 65 with a light bioload ie 10 to 12 small schooling fish, and Lots of Corals. Right now taking the plunge of mountiong new corals, Taking light, flow, and identity all into account. So will probably get another of them $ 170 by thje way for it.

Again though tough decision on when to change the micron filter about 14 a piece. Maybe run the other filter with earth in it we will see. Meanwhile consumed with coral feel like a surgeon
 
I used socks for about 2-3 weeks but I find them disgusting and they gross me out. No way this is going in my washing machine and washing by hand is a pain.

So I just use a long strip of filter floss and change it every 5-6 days. It does the job.
Yes only time I got stung by a bristle worm irritating. But mine never got really dirty I dont know why. I put batten meant for stuffing pillows in a chamber downstream costs me $ 20 for a piece 4 foot wide 6 foot long 2 inches thick . Throw it out every water change. one piece does about 15? changes? never figured it out
 
I have 2 x tanks (180g and 200g) I swapped out the 4 sock systemfor a Reef Matt 1200 in the 200g - and am soooo friggin glad i did. The 180g tank won't fit the Reef Matt so i'm stuck with a 2 filter sock system in that one. I really hated cleaning my socks (with a power washer every 6 weeks or so - i had a lot of socks on hand to help minimize this PITA task). The moment i find a way to fit a Reef Matt on the 180g i'll swap it out. So easy (change filter material every couple of months) and also cleaner tank (lower Phos for sure).
You just need a mom who loves sewing. I gave here the diy on filter socks. 2 days later she gave me a bag with 70 socks. So now I can just toss them when they are dirty
 
mine were clogging every 3 or 4 days so switched over to mesh ones which really don't seem to trap anything ...either that or the bristleworms in them eat everything that they trap
 
mine were clogging every 3 or 4 days so switched over to mesh ones which really don't seem to trap anything ...either that or the bristleworms in them eat everything that they trap
I have been changing mine wed and sun
 
Hello all, General questions pertaining to filter socks. Seem like a lot of folks are not using filter socks, if so HAD you ever used them if so when did you decide not to use anymore. and why did you decide on not using them? Was it a nutrition thing? how do you manage your sump and the messy part. I am asking because I am now seemingly no po4 and po3
Would removing the sock help keep this up? I do not want to feed a ton right now as i am dealing with some green hair algae. My current system is total 300 gal, running for about 8 months. pretty decent load of fish two clown two yellow wrasse two yellow tang one royal blue tang three chromis, fire fish tomini tang. white tale bristle tooth lawn mower blenny. and diamond goby. two cleaner shrimp. and a lot of assorted crabs and sails for cuc, I do run a auto water change about two gal a day.
I run stockless then toss it on for a day after a water change. Or maybe 1 day every couple weeks
 
I started with the socks that came with the tank, but they were a bit of a pain and switched to floss. I seemed to always have "low nutrients", so I now only run a coarse mesh. At times I will run floss or the Magnum filter if I have reason for some mechanical removal. I do have a skimmer.
 
I replaced my sock with a nanomat at my earliest convenience because wringing a filter sock out every 3-4 days is not the life I want to live
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new