To turn into reef tank or not to turn into reef tank

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background:

I had an ich outbreak in my 115 gallon system a few months back and as a result super panicked and did the following:

1) bought a 24 gallon AIO that is now set up and has zoa gardens, several rock flower anemones, two BTAs, a couple of small torches and a few other softies. The tank is doing great and I love the color and was a comfort to me when I was losing fish left and right and some coral deteriorated as I tried to use some of the “safe meds”.
2) I upgraded my freshwater tank to a 75 gallon and converted my 55 gallon to a reef tank because I had the tank so why not and got some already quarantined fish that did great. Made me super happy.
3) got a 40 gallon tank and turned it into a quarantine tank. Caught the fish that were still alive in my 115 gallon and have successfully gotten them through quarantine. The 115 gallon is going to move to the basement and become a frag tank later in the year but I’m not ready to do that yet.
4) I had already ordered my 210 gallon system prior to the ich infestation so I started that build and that tank is doing great.

Now the conundrum: I recently broke down the 55 gallon, transferred all the fish and coral to the 210 gallon along with the coral from my 115 (after appropriate fallow period) and set it up as a quarantine tank. My 24 gallon is full and I mean super full and I want more anemones. I’ve been toying with the idea of breaking down the 24 gallon and transferring everything to the 40 gallon for more real estate. By the way, this was a hyposalinity quarantine so no copper to worry about (I am trying to stay away from chemical quarantine unless absolutely necessary because I don’t believe in stripping a fish’s immune system by treating with all of the different chemicals, it is a personal preference and some of the heavy hitters like JayHemdal believe that hyposalinity can be used as a means to rid fish of ich in a preventative form, not just when symptomatic so while not a full quarantine with all the bells and whistles this is what I have chosen to do). So I am left with two choices: either break down the 24 gallon and turn the 40 into a reef tank or break down the 40 and keep the 24 as is. What would you do? Keeping both is not an option since I’ve promised my husband that I will take down at least one of the tanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you care about what any of us would do? Do what makes you happy. At one point 10 years ago I had 4 tanks and 2 refugiums that totaled over 600g. It was fun, but after some issues I started to downsize. Now I have two 40g aio tanks. One is all lps & sps (no fish) and the other is 95% stuff I collect locally in the Florida Keys and the beaches and estuaries of SW Florida. A 3" mantis shrimp is the main feature.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you care about what any of us would do? Do what makes you happy. At one point 10 years ago I had 4 tanks and 2 refugiums that totaled over 600g. It was fun, but after some issues I started to downsize. Now I have two 40g aio tanks. One is all lps & sps (no fish) and the other is 95% stuff I collect locally in the Florida Keys and the beaches and estuaries of SW Florida. A 3" mantis shrimp is the main feature.
A 3 inch mantis sounds awesome. Any pictures?

Not necessarily care about what anyone else would do. Just looking to convince myself one way or the other and this community tends to have fun opinions about random stuff.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 inch mantis sounds awesome. Any pictures?

Not necessarily care about what anyone else would do. Just looking to convince myself one way or the other and this community tends to have fun opinions about random stuff.
No photos. And it's just an all brown mantis. It stays out of sight except when I feed meaty food. It was a very lucky capture while snorkeling in the Keys. We see them a lot... well, mostly we see the dust trails as the dart from under a rock I'm picking up, to some other rock or hole. This one hung onto the rock I lifted and then let go. As it was slowly sinking back to the bottom I got my collection jar under it. It's been in my tank for almost 2 years now. It was about 1.5" when I caught it. BTW, you can read and see a lot more about our snorkel trips to the Keys in the link below in my 'signature'.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photos. And it's just an all brown mantis. It stays out of sight except when I feed meaty food. It was a very lucky capture while snorkeling in the Keys. We see them a lot... well, mostly we see the dust trails as the dart from under a rock I'm picking up, to some other rock or hole. This one hung onto the rock I lifted and then let go. As it was slowly sinking back to the bottom I got my collection jar under it. It's been in my tank for almost 2 years now. It was about 1.5" when I caught it. BTW, you can read and see a lot more about our snorkel trips to the Keys in the link below in my 'signature'.
Just took a look at that thread. Super neat! Will follow along!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't been snorkeling as much the last couple of years because we've been doing a lot more serious traveling out West. Other than a trip to Texas in April for the total eclipse, we intend to stay closer to home (as in no plane rides). I think we'll be snorkeling at least 2 or 3 times this summer. All my CUC and a few other critters are wild collected. Almost all of my coral is purchased.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back