Moving 2 tanks into 1

fascinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I find myself in a somewhat complex situation.
Currently, I have two reef tanks - a Biocube 32 and a bowfront 55.
I'm vacating my apartment on March 31st, and I won't be moving into a new one until mid-May (as I'll be out of the country, so there's no point in renting an empty place for that duration).
I've about to buy a larger tank (150 gallons) and placing it at my friend's house. Then, I'd merge both of my current tanks into this new 150-gallon one, so when I return in mid-May, I'll only have to move one tank.

My question is:
Is this the right approach, or would it be better to leave things as they are for now? Should I just place the two tanks at my friend's house and merge them upon my return?
If I opt for the move, what would be the best method to execute it? Should I transfer all the contents of the 55-gallon tank, including the water and sand, to the new tank and then add more water and sand?
I'm quite confused because time is limited, and I understand that starting a new tank from scratch would require a minimum of two weeks for cycling. This poses a challenge since I'm moving out on the 31st (which leaves only two weeks).
Any suggestions on how to proceed efficiently and effectively would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20240313_113322_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240313_113335_Gallery.jpg
I recently did this and it went well. I moved everything except sand. Not having the sand made it much easier to move once we purchased our new home. My temporary tank didn't grow much but everything had stayed alive. Been a few months now of being settled and life in the tank is doing well.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for the help!
I decided to put the new tank in a storage and once i back from my trip i will set up everything in the tank while im here and in my new house ! I got prostar150 i think its going to look amazing
Goodluck!!!! Also have fun for a month away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back