To upgrade from 240G to 280G or not and how ?

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks, I need some experienced advice here.
So before I start, my system is 240 G but spread across four units - a full-blown 40G refugium (also naughty fish habitat), two displays 1 - 150 and a second 55, and a sump. Everything is growing and happy. I have been thinking of upgrading and consolidating to a bigger - 8 ft X 30X22 or somewhere around that.

Wish to add Moorish Idol etc. in the new setup.

My worry is :
1) How soon can I move my mandarin gobies to the new tank (I wish to start with new rock/sand and sump.)
2) I am a little concerned about fish stock - currently, I have a Blue face scopa and yellow getting along in 150 and a yellow in 55. However, will all three be able to live somewhat cordially in a single 8 ft tank (one of them is over 12 years old and wouldn't like this to be her last move)
3) Use the same sump (current is 36" ) or start from scratch with a larger sump. pros/cons? - see point no. 1; Does that impact?
4) All new Rock? or reuse the rock from 150 ( 55 has a pocilopora infestation, and I don't want anything to do with it in my new setup)
5) If I consolidate all of it, I should have around 2 Hydra 64, 2 Hydra 32, and 2 T5 for this setup. Is that good enough for an SPS heavy tank, or should I plan for more?
6) Flow-wise consolidation should lead to 2 MP40s, 2 Jebao SLW 30s, and 2 MP10s - I know I can upgrade it to all MPs over time, but is it enough for a mid-term (let's say for a year+-)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Mandarins - depends on if their diet is primarily pods or if you've got them on frozen. If mainly pods, I'd wait at least a month and heavily seed pods in the interim.

2. I believe so, but @vetteguy53081 could give you the best answer.

3. Depends on if you like your current sump or not or if you'd like to have more features available.

4. I'd re-use as much as you can to insta-cycle the new system. You can also pre-cycle any new rock in-advance.

5. I think you'd initially be ok with that lighting, but it really depends on the final size/dimensions of the tank.

6. The MP10s will probably not work with the thicker glass of a larger system, so you may need to upgrade those at some point. You may want to go with MP60s instead for those 2.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1) How soon can I move my mandarin gobies to the new tank (I wish to start with new rock/sand and sump.)
Technically as soon as tank is fully cycled BUT you want to establish a Good copepod culture first as mandarins are all day hunters and consume a lot of pods.

2) I am a little concerned about fish stock - currently, I have a Blue face scopa and yellow getting along in 150 and a yellow in 55. However, will all three be able to live somewhat cordially in a single 8 ft tank (one of them is over 12 years old and wouldn't like this to be her last move)

Even more so, yes. I have 24 tangs currently and began with 19 in December in a new tank transfer and their behavior has improved. If you plan on additional tangs, as you know, yellow can be an uninviting jerk and you may want to add other tang(s) before the yellow

3) Use the same sump (current is 36" ) or start from scratch with a larger sump. pros/cons? - see point no. 1; Does that impact?

I used same sump which too is a 36" and moved it over to new tank

4) All new Rock? or reuse the rock from 150 ( 55 has a pocilopora infestation, and I don't want anything to do with it in my new setup)

I added new Live rock and added existing rock and had no issues with clarity of water, no3, po4, no diatoms or cyano and dino - Prayer Works- Amen

5) If I consolidate all of it, I should have around 2 Hydra 64, 2 Hydra 32, and 2 T5 for this setup. Is that good enough for an SPS heavy tank, or should I plan for more?

I would add a light bar such as Reefbrite or Orphek OR3-60 sky blue

6) Flow-wise consolidation should lead to 2 MP40s, 2 Jebao SLW 30s, and 2 MP10s - I know I can upgrade it to all MPs over time, but is it enough for a mid-term (let's say for a year+-)

Should be adequate but you'll know in time

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here is what my plan looks like for now:
Terminology -

Master tank - 150G
Big Tank - 240 or 280 G (To be decided)

High-level steps only - The Devil lies in the details, which need to be flushed out for the detailed plan.
0) Build the stand for big tank
1) Install the big tank
2) Rockscape with the new rock and existing rock (I seem to have a few hundred pounds chilling in a tank soaking) and fill. At this step, there is no water circulation. It will be a closed-loop system with few power heads moving the water around and heaters to keep the temperature. Dose bacteria and ammonia to get the cycle faster.
3) Rockscape
4) Install temporary lights (got a 4 of vipaspectra available for makeshift lights)

The timeline is probably 2-3 months from now for steps 0-5.

5) Once cycled, Disconnect the refugium from the master tank and connect it to the Big Tank (the master tank needs to be dosed with Nopox or something for a few weeks while migration completes). Copepods move from the master tank to the big tank and start populating the big tank while the master tank is running with NopoX support and the existing pod population)
6) Move corals and rocks (Manually test parameters and dose big tank with two parts while calcium reactor migrates - maybe for a few days / 1-2 weeks)
8) Move the sump and hard plumb everything with an upgraded pump
9) Move lights, tridents, controllers, CA reactor, dozers, etc.

Steps 5- 9 - best case over a weekend or over 2-3 weekends

New purchase list (long and short term)

1) Additional EB8
2) 2 x MP60's
3) Rocks
4) Lights

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back