To vac or not to vac....

When I had an Aggresive tank, I used a Ocean Clear Canister Filter, using a 1500gph pump on it. This is what I used to keep the tank clean. The aggreasive guys are messy eaters,
 
Same with me, when I kept agressive fish tanks I did not have a DSB and used two large canister filters and a large UV system to keep things clean. Verry different from my reef systems with no mechanical filtration and DSB's.
 
I, think issue with canisters will only arrise if one doesn't do proper maintence on them -- changing the filter/media regularly. Then again, that can apply to anything in this hobby.
 
I, think issue with canisters will only arrise if one doesn't do proper maintence on them -- changing the filter/media regularly. Then again, that can apply to anything in this hobby.

I was reading that they were just nitrate factories and were bad for marine tanks, although benificial in a freshwater tank.
 
No issue with canisters as long as you keep up with the maintainance. I have no skimmer and dont intend to use 1 lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new