Toadstool help - is this a good sign or a bad sign

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - was checking on a few corals with lights down and noticed my toadstool is either:

1) attaching itself to the rock via some kind of extension
2) being attacked from something on the rock

I didn’t want to dislodge it in case it’s “good” and attaching itself somehow but then again I’ve never seen a leather do this, but admittedly have little leather experience.

Apologies for the bad pics. Combo of lights out, dirty glass, dirty water (just caused a minor sand dust up right before)

IMG_3776.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I just unintetionally dislodged it. Used a turkey baster to give it some puffs thinking if it was a pest it would retreat. After a few hard puffs it detached but it is indeed part of the mushroom.

Looks like a polyp got "stuck"...it's a weeping willow (allegedly) so the polyps are pretty long. Can they get stuck or is this something the leather was doing intentionally to spread?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yes most likely a molt skin... :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all - was checking on a few corals with lights down and noticed my toadstool is either:

1) attaching itself to the rock via some kind of extension
2) being attacked from something on the rock

I didn’t want to dislodge it in case it’s “good” and attaching itself somehow but then again I’ve never seen a leather do this, but admittedly have little leather experience.

Apologies for the bad pics. Combo of lights out, dirty glass, dirty water (just caused a minor sand dust up right before)

IMG_3776.jpeg
This looks skinned over due to lack of water flow. You want moderate light and medium water flow and assure nitrates not elevated. A few blasts direct to the head will or should perk it up
Here is one of mine:

1705988304568.png

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks skinned over due to lack of water flow. You want moderate light and medium water flow and assure nitrates not elevated. A few blasts direct to the head will or should perk it up
Here is one of mine:

1705988304568.png
Thanks…it usually looks fine, the stuck polyp must have irritated it and this was also an hour into lights off. Will take a pic of it with the lights tomorrow but I think all is well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back