Is my toadstool leather shedding or bleaching.

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am pretty new to the hobby and my tank is just over 3 months old about 2 weeks ago i bought this toadstool leather, and had it in the middle third with some flow, i cant tell whether it is bleaching due to high lighting or just shedding which i know they can do, can anyone clarify my situation? I have put it on the sand bed but still has good flow just incase it is bleaching. You can see where it used to be and i run my lights on a more blue spectrum.

image.jpg IMG_3868.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep leathers but have not noticed mine looking like yours when they shed. The center part looks concerning. What is concerning (to me) is that when mine shed I can not see any polyps,thry deflate and get a shiny film over then before it starts sloughing off. Yours has very slight polyps every where except the center. Maybe try blowing it off a turkey baster. I do that often when mine shed. Mine are also under high light (300+ par) so they can handle light.

OP
OP
wasabi bean

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep leathers but have not noticed mine looking like yours when they shed. The center part looks concerning. What is concerning (to me) is that when mine shed I can not see any polyps,thry deflate and get a shiny film over then before it starts sloughing off. Yours has very slight polyps every where except the center. Maybe try blowing it off a turkey baster. I do that often when mine shed. Mine are also under high light (300+ par) so they can handle light.
I will give that a try, although i went to check on it last night and saw my cleaner shrimp picking at it which could be the cause or it could have just been removing the old parts

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give that a try, although i went to check on it last night and saw my cleaner shrimp picking at it which could be the cause or it could have just been removing the old parts
If it is dead in the center that could be why the cleaner was picking at it. If it doesn't get any better you could try fragging it. Leathers are pretty easy to frag. You can cut them then place them in a tray of rubble to attach. Just a suggestion in case the center part is dead and continues outward

OP
OP
wasabi bean

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is dead in the center that could be why the cleaner was picking at it. If it doesn't get any better you could try fragging it. Leathers are pretty easy to frag. You can cut them then place them in a tray of rubble to attach. Just a suggestion in case the center part is dead and continues outward
Thanks, i will watch it very closely and if it continues will make sure to frag it.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like something took a big bite out of it lol, could be infected/necrotic tissue, an iodine dip should resolve that

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious how long they stay tucked in if they are shedding?
I've had them definitely do it for a week or more. If you have multiple leathers and one starts shedding it also sometimes causes other to shed bc they're protecting themselves for toxins and things.

I also find that they can handle very high par lighting. They can live in less light but do perfectly fine in high par. I actually have two at the highest point in my tank taking the highest oar of any coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back