Toadstool issues

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely large toad that I've had for years and grew from a small frag. Its always been out open and beautiful. Then suddenly one day it entered a state of constant shed and never opened again. This went on for 6 months. I upgraded my tank. New water new lights new everything. It still hasnt opened once in the 8 months its been in there. High flow low flow high light low light back front everything it never opens. Its 100% healthy looking despite lack of polyp extension. Tank is softies only and has dozens of leathers all flourishing.
Any ideas?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the leathers rubbing it or some other softy .

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you left it in one place before moving it again

Palytosis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely large toad that I've had for years and grew from a small frag. Its always been out open and beautiful. Then suddenly one day it entered a state of constant shed and never opened again. This went on for 6 months. I upgraded my tank. New water new lights new everything. It still hasnt opened once in the 8 months its been in there. High flow low flow high light low light back front everything it never opens. Its 100% healthy looking despite lack of polyp extension. Tank is softies only and has dozens of leathers all flourishing.
Any ideas?

Brainstorming here. Are clownfish hosting it and stressing it out? Got a dwarf angel thats nipping it every time it polyps out? Any LPS within sweeper distance, like within 10" of it?

OP
OP
Rachael0059

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brainstorming here. Are clownfish hosting it and stressing it out? Got a dwarf angel thats nipping it every time it polyps out? Any LPS within sweeper distance, like within 10" of it?
Nope tank is softies only . 90% leathers. Here is one section of the tank. I have it isolated 10" away on the right. Coral isnt packed over there like in the photo. No bothersome fish. Clowns stay in their anemone. Never seen anything touch it. I've moved it all over. As you can see everything else is happy.
20180806_210638.jpeg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many places to move it to. The more you touch the closed it gets. It looks to be in a good spot. I would leave it a bit and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Rachael0059

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not in the photo, it's on the right half of the tank the one in the photo is fine. No issues. The one I'm referring to is by itself. This is only half the tank I'll take another picture when I get home. The toad with issues is a neon polyp one.

OP
OP
Rachael0059

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many places to move it to. The more you touch the closed it gets. It looks to be in a good spot. I would leave it a bit and see how it goes.

You cant see the one I'm referring to in the photo. This is only half the tank. It's on the right side isolated to itself I'll take a photo when I can. The one in the photo has no issues. The one with problems is a neon polyp.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one under yellow tank BEtween zoas, under cabbage to the right of toadstool first look so happy . leathers can release chem warfare . have you tried to run activated carbon?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible anemone is close to it

OP
OP
Rachael0059

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one under yellow tank BEtween zoas, under cabbage to the right of toadstool first look so happy . leathers can release chem warfare . have you tried to run activated carbon?

Yep thats why I dont understand because I have other toads that are thriving. I run a lot of carbon because my tank is so leather heavy. The one that wont open has been isolated 10" away from all coral high and low just to try to get it to open again. Tissue is completely healthy but zero polyp extension and it is like half the size of normal when fully inflated.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the flow on that side of the tank? I'm sure you thought about that.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you or can you take a pic of tbr coral in question .

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow maybe a bit to high. When mine was receiving high flow polyps woudnt extend and it through a leather hissy fit.

OP
OP
Rachael0059

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in the same flow for years and did great. Its very strange. I tried to upload a video but it wont let me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back