Tony's Innovative Marine 200EXT Build

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the ReefMat 1200 figured out pretty easily actually. I have the main siphon coming in from the back, straight down and into one elbow, and the secondary wrapping around to the front. Whenever I get the tank setup I’ll try it like this before gluing everything to make sure it works!

04281E22-992C-4665-A69B-418728C5D3BB.jpeg

F206575C-69A5-450B-8E5F-9D4902375F7B.jpeg
I’m so annoyed that it only fits in sideways lol

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update! Everything is going very well. It took a lot more time than I expected to sort everything out and learn the Apex pretty well but it’s all good now.

I ended up giving the entire middle rock over to the Zoas. I went a little overboard… and I even got some cool mushrooms. I have a St. Thomas in there somewhere who decided to either crawl or float away. Hopefully I discover him again soon! I may end up regretting these additions but at least I spotted a zenia hitchhiker when dipping the corals and immediately sent it to the trash!

Now it’s just a maintenance and waiting game. I have the AWC system changing out a couple gallons a night. I did the math and it seems like total water volume is only about 180 gallons. Not a big deal but it doesn’t sound nearly as cool as 200+. Haha. Anyways. Oh and I have a huge order of snails coming tomorrow just as the algae levels have started to increase. ✌️

Video of tank

IMG_9886.jpeg IMG_9888.jpeg IMG_9887.jpeg IMG_9890.jpeg

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeling about the M2 as your return pump? I have the EXT170 and went with the L2. I'm wondering how much money I wasted ;)

Everything looks great! I went with Tampa Bay Saltwater Rock and Sand in my tank this time... it's amazing stuff but I've spent the last week + picking out gorilla crabs.

Hopefully next week I migrate my EXT75 livestock and coral to the 170 :)

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeling about the M2 as your return pump? I have the EXT170 and went with the L2. I'm wondering how much money I wasted ;)

Everything looks great! I went with Tampa Bay Saltwater Rock and Sand in my tank this time... it's amazing stuff but I've spent the last week + picking out gorilla crabs.

Yeah there are pros and cons to using live rock. I figured I’d give the dry rock and live sand combo a shot since I wanted to make a somewhat custom aquascape. Happy so far! But I had the rocks cycling for months before hand and I instantly added fish, pods, and lots of coral. Seems to be working to avoid a huge ugly phase. But It will take forever to truly mature compared to yours I’m sure.

The L2 would be great if you have only one pump. I have 2 M2’s turned down to 31% pushing 300gph through the UV and manifold so it works to move water quietly. You should be happy. Nothing wrong with a slightly oversized pump. Besides maybe some energy waste.

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And beautiful car! I have a 2015 GT I built completely that sits on the lift most of the time. :grinning-squinting-face:

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are pros and cons to using live rock. I figured I’d give the dry rock and live sand combo a shot since I wanted to make a somewhat custom aquascape. Happy so far! But I had the rocks cycling for months before hand and I instantly added fish, pods, and lots of coral. Seems to be working to avoid a huge ugly phase. But It will take forever to truly mature compared to yours I’m sure.

The L2 would be great if you have only one pump. I have 2 M2’s turned down to 31% pushing 300gph through the UV and manifold so it works to move water quietly. You should be happy. Nothing wrong with a slightly oversized pump. Besides maybe some energy waste.

Right? I have a fully mature tank that was started with dry rock and dry sand. It was the first time I ever went that route and I spent 2+ year battling every nuisance you could think of. Massive Cyano outbreaks followed by a massive dino outbreak followed by another dino outbreak then GHA (which I was happy about) like I've never seen... Finally, after the GHA I achieved some level of homeostasis. I didn't want to deal with that in the new tank.

I truly hope you have better luck than I did.

The L2 is running about 50% and can quickly overwhelm the 1" siphon and the subsequent trickle drain. The good news is it's only drawing 80 watts at the wall.

Everything is looking great! I look forward to following your progress.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And beautiful car! I have a 2015 GT I built completely that sits on the lift most of the time. :grinning-squinting-face:

Hah, I know the feeling. I have a restomod CJ7 (ls swap, 4 wheel disc, hydroboost, air lockers, twin stick etc etc etc) that I've been working on for 3+ years.

Thanks! The GT500 is my baby. Heritage car, carbon fiber track pack, painted stripe. I actually had it at a cars and coffee out your way last year.

Edit: Your way assuming Wake Forest is Wake Forest NC ;)

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, I know the feeling. I have a restomod CJ7 (ls swap, 4 wheel disc, hydroboost, air lockers, twin stick etc etc etc) that I've been working on for 3+ years.

Thanks! The GT500 is my baby. Heritage car, carbon fiber track pack, painted stripe. I actually had it at a cars and coffee out your way last year.

Edit: Your way assuming Wake Forest is Wake Forest NC ;)
Sweet. Jeep sounds nice! Enjoy the new tank!

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your thoughts on the back wall. Will you scrape it to keep it black or just let coralline algae grow on it?
I’ll probably end up scraping it. I like the contrast. Just kinda letting the tank mature a bit. I have some coralline growth occurring on the rocks already so it’s going well! Been watching the alk and ph start to stabilize some. The ranges are narrowing. Dosing a small amount of kalk overnight with a 2 gallon awc every night for now. How is yours coming along?

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the blue pics! Just checking out some of the growth I’m finally getting!

Some of my zoas aren’t looking very good. I think it may have been caused by me mixing up my AWC water too salty somehow(I must not have checked it long enough after it had mixed) and the levels creeped over time. Brought it back down most of the way today and I will let the rest happen gradually. Hopefully they’ll recover. Only coral I lost so far was a 24k gold frammer… possibly due to the salinity as well. I tried a couple dips but no luck. But it was also probably an maricultured coral so who knows.

I’m also trying to get a feel for my nutrient levels. Measuring them every 4 days or so. I notice that nitrates can change quick depending on how fast I run the reefmat and how much I skim. And then the phosphate is slightly elevated. Trying to understand how much rowa is needed each couple weeks. I think the reef jerky that I have in the auto feeder for the Anthias is causing most of that. I might switch to something else. See if I can figure it out so I don’t need so much rowaphos. But right now I’m at about 15/0.1. The dry rocks may also not be helping with the phosphates but I doubt it. I had most of them soaking for quite awhile before hand. And so we march onwards!!!! Cheers

IMG_0154.jpeg IMG_0155.jpeg IMG_0156.jpeg IMG_0157.jpeg IMG_0158.jpeg IMG_0159.jpeg IMG_0160.jpeg IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0164.jpeg IMG_0165.jpeg

Last edited:

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the blue pics! Just checking out some of the growth I’m finally getting!

Some of my zoas aren’t looking very good. I think it may have been caused by me mixing up my AWC water too salty somehow(I must not have checked it long enough after it had mixed) and the levels creeped over time. Brought it back down most of the way today and I will let the rest happen gradually. Hopefully they’ll recover. Only coral I lost so far was a 24k gold frammer… possibly due to the salinity as well. I tried a couple dips but no luck. But it was also probably an aqua-cultured coral so who knows.

I’m also trying to get a feel for my nutrient levels. Measuring them every 4 days or so. I notice that nitrates can change quick depending on how fast I run the reefmat and how much I skim. And then the phosphate is slightly elevated. Trying to understand how much rowa is needed each couple weeks. I think the reef jerky that I have in the auto feeder for the Anthias is causing most of that. I might switch to something else. See if I can figure it out so I don’t need so much rowaphos. But right now I’m at about 15/0.1. The dry rocks may also not be helping with the phosphates but I doubt it. I had most of them soaking for quite awhile before hand. And so we march onwards!!!! Cheers

IMG_0154.jpeg IMG_0155.jpeg IMG_0156.jpeg IMG_0157.jpeg IMG_0158.jpeg IMG_0159.jpeg IMG_0160.jpeg IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0164.jpeg IMG_0165.jpeg
Looking good. that purple stylo will get massive. Mine is. Getting my fish shipment this week. Can't wait

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back