Too many Amphipods in fuge

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever crawls on your glass is likely amphipods - coppepods don't crawl...
Technically yes, they don't "crawl", they hop. But that's arguing semantics over what ultimately is a method of locomotion over a hard surface.

BigReef-2022-07-16-03.jpg

Copepod.jpg

Copepod2.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. This is not true.
As far as Zoanthids are concerned, I can say that it is absolutely true.

Amphipods can no more be viewed as a singular monolith than isopods or coepods, both of which harbor harmless and harmful species in their families.

The same is true of amphipods, and the species that is dominant in a couple of my systems, will attack and consume zoanthids that are showing any signs of stress, as well as voraciously consume any aiptasia introduced, so there is an upside at least with these buggers.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whatever crawls on your glass is likely amphipods - coppepods don't crawl...
Crawls, hops, pogos- however you want to put it, these organisms move about on my glass. They're tiny little dots, about twice the size (at most) of the periods on this page, some of which have two smaller dots of egg sacs attached. If you look closely, you can see their little antennae and pointed tails.

I know you don't know who I am or what I know, but I've been keeping saltwater aquariums for years, and freshwater aquariums for over half my life. I do actually know what a copepod looks like.

You're welcome to look up any variant on "copepods on glass" to see how many pictures there are of copepods sitting on glass rather than free-swimming.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. This is not true.
Sadly, it is. Some species of amphipods (including the common gray species) will quite vigorously go after stressed zoanthids, and if there aren't any fish in the tank to keep them in check, they may stress zoas to the point of being tempting food by crawling all over them. I would also be unsurprised if, like cleaner shrimp, they go after food that LPS have caught.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as Zoanthids are concerned, I can say that it is absolutely true.

Amphipods can no more be viewed as a singular monolith than isopods or coepods, both of which harbor harmless and harmful species in their families.

The same is true of amphipods, and the species that is dominant in a couple of my systems, will attack and consume zoanthids that are showing any signs of stress, as well as voraciously consume any aiptasia introduced, so there is an upside at least with these buggers.
Kudoes to this post.

It bores me to tears to hear semantic games that confuse the Pilgrims and newbies

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The same is true of amphipods, and the species that is dominant in a couple of my systems, will attack and consume zoanthids that are showing any signs of stress, as well as voraciously consume any aiptasia introduced, so there is an upside at least with these buggers.”

@Alexraptor
I want some Aptasia eating amphipods. I just ordered 20 aptasia eating nudibranch & one file fish. for $350.

I see that you are located in Sweden. Tell @Lasse hello.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonafide Copepod.

I collect them, but some people buy them in large quantities.
Paul,
Send me some of those pods. If I get lucky, we may have a sustainable source of Aptasia Eating Amphipods instead of Slugs/Nudibranchs

Last edited:

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread amused me no end, I've been reefing for 29 years and culturing copepods and amphipods for just as long. It's great that the barrier to entry of the hobby has decreased significantly, this also seems to correlate with a decrease in the average I.Q level of some of its participants.

Last edited:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the thread, but I’ll have to say please give me this “problem”. At the very least my Mel and Leopard wrasses would feast.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back