merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have way too many Amphipods in my fuge

I can see them scuttling around at night in the DT as well

I believe this is limiting my copepod population and possibly causing other issues

I put a small six line in the fuge to gorge himself like a mighty ogre lord - but the issue is they mostly come out at night (mostly) and he’s sleeping then

Any advice?

I’ve done 3 sump deep cleans this year so that doesn’t seem to set them back much

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I think they also mess with LPS at night
I highly doubt that is true. I have some large LPS that have been with me for 6 years and I have a ton on amphipods and LPS are thriving. If you've gathered this information from the web take it with a grain of salt. I think there is more misinformation than useful information online.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with too many amphipods...but they are known to consume copepods. I wouldn't worry about it, though. The copepod population will also thrive in the system with the amphipods. I used to have a huge population as well, then they are less common now that I have a leopard wrasse...and he sleeps at night as well...the wrasse will find them.

Now, I wish I had more like previously.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of amphipods eating on zoanthids but usually I feel their decline is due to something else and amphipods are fulfilling a scavenger role.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coppepods done survive in reef tanks.. they are free swimming and get carried away and eaten.

amphipods are your next beat friends.
Incorrect majority of consumers grade copepods aren't pelagic meaning they don't live in your water colum . They reside in your rock work and substrate

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have way too many Amphipods in my fuge

I can see them scuttling around at night in the DT as well

I believe this is limiting my copepod population and possibly causing other issues

I put a small six line in the fuge to gorge himself like a mighty ogre lord - but the issue is they mostly come out at night (mostly) and he’s sleeping then

Any advice?

I’ve done 3 sump deep cleans this year so that doesn’t seem to set them back much
Cut back on feedings they self regulate based on available food source

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, don't worry about it. I have been collecting amphipods since Noah's Ark and dumping them in my tank by the thousands. I also have 6 copepod eaters and they have been healthy and spawning since the 70s. (not the same ones)

Amphipods:

5 gallon bucket of amphipods.

I collect them here.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, don't worry about it. I have been collecting amphipods since Noah's Ark !
Thank you Paul, I had a good belly laugh at this.

Like everyone else is saying, no such thing as to many pods, the population regulates on food available, if you have tons, feed less. simple solution. Personally I love seeing them everywhere in my system. The best gauge of how healthy and mature a tank is, IMO, is the pod population. That more than anything else I can think of indicates you have created a good environment for your Livestock/pets/fish/coral. If you have the algae and nutrients in your system to allow pods to reproduce and flourish, you are way ahead of the curve!

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorrect majority of consumers grade copepods aren't pelagic meaning they don't live in your water colum . They reside in your rock work and substrate
They don't live in water column - but they do regularly swim in water column.. So you can only sustain their population if the water column is relatively still..

Amphipods tend not to swim but to crawl amongst rocks (unless spooked), they are ok with any kind of flow (even extreme flow).

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't live in water column - but they do regularly swim in water column.. So you can only sustain their population if the water column is relatively still..

Amphipods tend not to swim but to crawl amongst rocks (unless spooked), they are ok with any kind of flow (even extreme flow).
This is simply not true. Copepods have absolutely no problems whatsoever swimming in turbulent waters. I have observed this first hand at night, using a flashlight against the side of the tank.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is simply not true. Copepods have absolutely no problems whatsoever swimming in turbulent waters. I have observed this first hand at night, using a flashlight against the side of the tank.
You don't understand - when they swim, they get carried away into tank by the pump flow. When they end up in the display tank - they get eaten by fish.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's 100% false I'm not sure where your getting your information from but it couldn't be anymore wrong . Only consumer grade copepods that will swim regularly in the water colum are tigours and Parvocalanus and everyone is pretty aware of that . If you would like to send me your email I can show you personally that your claims are false . Not going to clog O.Ps thread with videos and scientific studies link's

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coppepods done survive in reef tanks.. they are free swimming and get carried away and eaten.

amphipods are your next beat friends.
Copepods definitely survive in reef tanks. My glass crawls with them during the day and even more at night, and I have four fish in here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back