Too many HoB's , need creative ideas!

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning friends! I have a 25g Waterbox Penninsula mixed reef tank (first ever saltwater tank!). I've had it for a bit over a year and I have added an Apex Neptune and Trident, Aqua Cave hob refugium, and a hob skimmer. Plus the normal stuff like heater, green machine uv light, 2 wavemakers. The problem is that the tank looks awful in terms of just the visual appeal with so many things hanging off and the probes, wires, etc.

I have no creativity and am hoping someone has some ideas on how to get things looking prettier. Considering a different skimmer that could go in chamber 2 but the refugium has helped and I don't want to lose it - but I lose almost a whole side of viewing my DT.

I welcome your ideas!
20240220_115036.jpg
20240220_115101.jpg
20240220_115143.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep the green machine, use it as necessary and dump the skimmer & refugium. Regular water changes will do the same thing that the skimmer & refugium are doing with that small of a tank. The tank is over a year old so fighting the ugly stage with all that equipment isnt needed @ this point.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...what about a sump?

Not an option for every installation, I know, but this is exactly what they're for, so it's probably worth considering.
This would be my choice!!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also do an overhead sump - pump water up into the sump and let it flow back down into the display.
If you have a space for it, it might be a decent option to consider

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas! I wouldn't trust myself to drill anything. Would love a sump, and never thought of an overhead. Interesting!

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that equipment says "time for a tank upgrade," while the stocking says "how much of that equipment is needed?"

An AIO peninsula is going to be limited in how much equipment you can fit in the back due to the narrow tank design. A more traditional tank design would have a much larger filter chambers that would allow you to fit a skimmer, fuge, and heaters. If you are set on keeping this tank then I would consider the usefulness of each piece of equipment.

It doesn't look stocked with enough corals to justify a Trident (and what is in there doesn't look like it would consume a lot of alk/calc/mag). It also doesn't look heavily stocked with fish, so a fuge and skimmer may not be necessary either (I wouldn't be surprised if the most beneficial part of the fuge is from increasing water volume by ~5-10%). Green machine may not be necessary to run continuously. Although, future stocking could change how necessary all of that equipment is.

Selling off some of the unnecessary equipment could offset the cost of a tank upgrade. Something in the 30-35 gallon range would offer greater water volume to dilute some of the N and P that your fuge and skimmer are currently pulling out, which would minimize the effects of taking them offline. Something with different dimensions may also allow you to fit your fuge and skimmer in the back compartments. If you don't want to swap tanks, adding more corals would also consume more of the N and P that your fuge and skimmer would have been pulling out.

Another option, depending on if your stand has room for it, would be to add something like the Eshopps HOB overflow and a sump. Assuming the stand has similar dimensions to the tank, you may be limited on sumps, but something like the Eshopps Cube Nano could fit. A sump would allow you to still have a refugium and a place for your skimmer. The HOB overflow would mean no drilling is required. The downside is the box takes up a bit of real estate in the tank, but given what you have on there now, it would still consolidate that panel nicely.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to achieve in the tank ?

What corals and fish do you have or want to have ?

All the equipment you've bought it nice but what's the goal ?

I would agree with a post earlier in the thread, water changes will keep this tank in balance. Automate the water changes with a DOS and you'll keep water quality very high. Schedule your 2 part or whatever you're using for right after the water change and things will flourish, IMHO.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning friends! I have a 25g Waterbox Penninsula mixed reef tank (first ever saltwater tank!). I've had it for a bit over a year and I have added an Apex Neptune and Trident, Aqua Cave hob refugium, and a hob skimmer. Plus the normal stuff like heater, green machine uv light, 2 wavemakers. The problem is that the tank looks awful in terms of just the visual appeal with so many things hanging off and the probes, wires, etc.

I have no creativity and am hoping someone has some ideas on how to get things looking prettier. Considering a different skimmer that could go in chamber 2 but the refugium has helped and I don't want to lose it - but I lose almost a whole side of viewing my DT.

I welcome your ideas!
20240220_115036.jpg
20240220_115101.jpg
20240220_115143.jpg
You got the AIO Blues Girl!!! All the big tank aspirations and not enough tank. ;)

Know what I'm saying? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Yes you do! Looks like you're serious about what you're doing, the tank inhabitants look great and the tank is clean...pat yourself on the back and treat yourself to an upgrade. The only thing you NEED is more room.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be doing a 3 gallon water change every week and get rid of all of that equipment except the light and be ok. It looks like maybe you are more interested in buying gear than running the tank efficiently.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be doing a 3 gallon water change every week and get rid of all of that equipment except the light and be ok. It looks like maybe you are more interested in buying gear than running the tank efficiently.
Yes... @SaltLifeMom

What exactly are you trying to achieve...if your tank is an AIO, why do you have excess filtration?

Ditch the fuge and skimmer 1st of all.
Add all types of media /biological and chemical into the AIO.

Do weekly water changes.

If you don't like the 2 wavemakers, get a gyre...even a cheap Jebao or something. Keep the UV.

I have a 40GB with a Cannister, I'm fixing to upgrade to the Red Sea 25 Gyre. I will be removing my 2 main app controlled wavemakers and the 2 smaller Sicce Nanos.

I will essentially have 2 wires for 2 lights, 1 Gyre, 1 heater, i also run a small air stone, so once this is done my under cabinet and overall system will look clean and tidy, with no extra junk in tank.

You have overkill on your tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that equipment says "time for a tank upgrade," while the stocking says "how much of that equipment is needed?"

An AIO peninsula is going to be limited in how much equipment you can fit in the back due to the narrow tank design. A more traditional tank design would have a much larger filter chambers that would allow you to fit a skimmer, fuge, and heaters. If you are set on keeping this tank then I would consider the usefulness of each piece of equipment.

It doesn't look stocked with enough corals to justify a Trident (and what is in there doesn't look like it would consume a lot of alk/calc/mag). It also doesn't look heavily stocked with fish, so a fuge and skimmer may not be necessary either (I wouldn't be surprised if the most beneficial part of the fuge is from increasing water volume by ~5-10%). Green machine may not be necessary to run continuously. Although, future stocking could change how necessary all of that equipment is.

Selling off some of the unnecessary equipment could offset the cost of a tank upgrade. Something in the 30-35 gallon range would offer greater water volume to dilute some of the N and P that your fuge and skimmer are currently pulling out, which would minimize the effects of taking them offline. Something with different dimensions may also allow you to fit your fuge and skimmer in the back compartments. If you don't want to swap tanks, adding more corals would also consume more of the N and P that your fuge and skimmer would have been pulling out.

Another option, depending on if your stand has room for it, would be to add something like the Eshopps HOB overflow and a sump. Assuming the stand has similar dimensions to the tank, you may be limited on sumps, but something like the Eshopps Cube Nano could fit. A sump would allow you to still have a refugium and a place for your skimmer. The HOB overflow would mean no drilling is required. The downside is the box takes up a bit of real estate in the tank, but given what you have on there now, it would still consolidate that panel nicely.

This!!!

Can I adopt you to solve all of life's problems? Lol! Thank you, that's really good feedback. I had no idea about hob overflows! Thank you, thank you!!

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... @SaltLifeMom

What exactly are you trying to achieve...if your tank is an AIO, why do you have excess filtration?

Ditch the fuge and skimmer 1st of all.
Add all types of media /biological and chemical into the AIO.

Do weekly water changes.

If you don't like the 2 wavemakers, get a gyre...even a cheap Jebao or something. Keep the UV.

I have a 40GB with a Cannister, I'm fixing to upgrade to the Red Sea 25 Gyre. I will be removing my 2 main app controlled wavemakers and the 2 smaller Sicce Nanos.

I will essentially have 2 wires for 2 lights, 1 Gyre, 1 heater, i also run a small air stone, so once this is done my under cabinet and overall system will look clean and tidy, with no extra junk in tank.

You have overkill on your tank

Thanks for this. It's definitely overkill. I think out of panic at never having phosphate under control for any real period of time. I have 3 fish and I do biweekly 5 gallon water changes with no great improvements. But, everything is growing and looking good. I think it was pressure of number chasing, which I no longer do.

A year of learning and realizing I panicked a lot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back