Too many information of keeping SPS

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently i have keeping my SPS for 3months but seems not colorful as they in coral store. So i google "How to keep my SPS in a long term" and i have some conclusion, Please tell me if i have any misunderstanding..

1. Keep Stability
KH,CA,MG,NP,weekly water change20%

2. Lighting
Mine Xr30 G5 Blue for 2ft tank(any Light schedule for me?)

3. water wave
Mp10 for 2ft tank

OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i ask what is this?

1699950604398.png

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton of methods to keep acropora successfully. For starters, tell us more information about your tank

How long have you had the tank?
How big is it?
Water parameters
What type of acropora do you want to keep?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I highly suggest renting a light meter or just buying the Bluetooth model. It's the same price as 2 decent frags. I probably lost 10k in acros due to too much light. I thought it was nutrients and got dinos as well. I wish someone would have told me this a few years ago.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to enter the Acro world as well and something just tells me encrusted bases are really preferred most of the time. Regardless, maybe a par meter would help?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Color is going to be very dependent on your light and light setting. If you and the store are using different lights you may never really get the same coloration they were getting. There are about a billion other factors as well but I think the lighting is one of the more important and more obvious causes of different coloration.

As long as the coral is not bleaching, I tend to think of polyp extension as a better barometer of the corals "happiness" than comparing it's coloration to the stores coloration (obviously your parameters should be on point etc. . . )

As mentioned above the coral in your picture does look freshly cut (does look like a mili to me), which isn't necessarily the way you want to get them (knowing the have survived the fragging process and are growing not receding is better obviously) that said that coral looks fairly content to me with good poly extension.

OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest renting a light meter or just buying the Bluetooth model. It's the same price as 2 decent frags. I probably lost 10k in acros due to too much light. I thought it was nutrients and got dinos as well. I wish someone would have told me this a few years ago.
omg, is light meter checking something call PAR?

OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to b a fresh cut millepora. Could b wrong on species but fresh cut sps. Not something u want to add right away
Thanks!! i just trying to keep some like digi
I'm about to enter the Acro world as well and something just tells me encrusted bases are really preferred most of the time. Regardless, maybe a par meter would help?
I dont know anything about par.. is it any standard for acro?
Color is going to be very dependent on your light and light setting. If you and the store are using different lights you may never really get the same coloration they were getting. There are about a billion other factors as well but I think the lighting is one of the more important and more obvious causes of different coloration.

As long as the coral is not bleaching, I tend to think of polyp extension as a better barometer of the corals "happiness" than comparing it's coloration to the stores coloration (obviously your parameters should be on point etc. . . )

As mentioned above the coral in your picture does look freshly cut (does look like a mili to me), which isn't necessarily the way you want to get them (knowing the have survived the fragging process and are growing not receding is better obviously) that said that coral looks fairly content to me with good poly extension.
Thanks for your advise, i am still have many things to learn.

Any good youtube channel to learn by video?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! i just trying to keep some like digi

I dont know anything about par.. is it any standard for acro?

Thanks for your advise, i am still have many things to learn.

Any good youtube channel to learn by video?
Par refers to the light intensity the coral receives. The deeper the water, the lower the par because of the scattered wavelengths. Corals can vary in color depending on environmental factors such as light.

OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton of methods to keep acropora successfully. For starters, tell us more information about your tank

How big is it?
Water parameters
11months
How big is it?
2 feet back filter tank
Water parameters
Don't know yet, will rent one later
Like different color Millepora
Acropora Carduus
and
1700100310961.png

OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par refers to the light intensity the coral receives. The deeper the water, the lower the par because of the scattered wavelengths. Corals can vary in color depending on environmental factors such as light.
luckily i found a local fish store which can rent a parmeter, but i have to wait one month later

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back