Too much Coraline??

aquablizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now a fish only tank..

Is there a solution or product that will dissolve coralline algae?? Most all my black plastic pickups, powerhead, wavemaker and skimmer are completely covered with the stuff.. Scraping is going to be very time consuming and not very efficient. I scrap the back glass in my DT and within a month it's back.

Also if I reduce the calcium levels in the water, will that slow down the growth or keep it in check.. I like the looks of some coralline but this is getting crazy.

Thanks in advance
blizz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anything you can take out of the tank like powerheads, etc. An overnight bath in 1:1 vinegar and water will dissolve it.

Invader_Moose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vinegar bath is great at breaking coraline down, making it easy to brush off. I don't know about lowering your calcium I could see it effecting your alkalinity and in turn your ph levels but Idk how harmful that is in fish only

rabbithazen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid works best. Just put a bit in a 5g bucket then add water. Be careful with it as muriatic acid can be dangerous so get all proper safety gear. Don't spill on anything.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid works best. Just put a bit in a 5g bucket then add water. Be careful with it as muriatic acid can be dangerous so get all proper safety gear. Don't spill on anything.

NEVER add water to acid!!! Always add the acid to water. While you're correct in that it works well, in my opinion it's overkill. the vinegar works just fine without the risks associated with acid.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard people say bumping up the intensity of their lights made coralline die off. As mentioned already, if you can remove the stuff with growth from the tank, vinegar works wonders.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back