Took PAR readings for the first time, thoughts?

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are 2 Kessil A360WE's roughly 6" above the water surface (done to lessen light spill). Water depth is 18". I didn't realise the Kessils are that powerful. PAR measure using Seneye Reef.

Also included is where I originally wanted to place corals but not so sure the clam and BTA would be getting enough PAR and hammers/frogspawns getting too much?

Coral Placement.jpg

40 colour - 40 intensity - FLOW.jpeg

40 colour - 40 intensity- STILL.jpeg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer and frogspawn are in about 230 PAR.

I would raise the lights higher and turn up the intensity to even out the PAR across the tank. Yes, you will have light spill, but you will reduce hot spots and the damage they can cause.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're going all SPS in your tank then par looks really high to me if you're going to do like a mixed Reef or something of the sort then you could probably raise your lights up a little bit I understand this spill issue. Or dialed them down or something. that is only if you're going to go mix Reef otherwise if you're looking at all SPS like your bird nest and such then you're probably good

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that looks great! It might be a little low for the clam though if doing a maxima or crocea. My personal cutoff is 200 min for those with 300 being much better.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that looks great! It might be a little low for the clam though if doing a maxima or crocea. My personal cutoff is 200 min for those with 300 being much better.

That's my worry, low PAR for the Maxima clam and BTA. Struggling to think how to rearrange the rocks, not much space to do anything and need to give the BTA space.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back