Top 20 Water Change Mistakes you'll regret later!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all done water changes at some point in our reefing journey and undoubtedly we've all made some mistakes.

Today Ryan and Randy share their Top 20 Water Change Mistakes so that you can avoid some of your own in the future!

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a tease, have to wait three hours... Is this a bait and switch ;Woot
Haha same thing just happened to me. “WHAT THE, why isn’t it playing?” Thought I would listen to it while heading to a buddies house to plumb his tank.

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model Python gravel washer/water changer is that one, I have been looking for one with a smaller diameter gravel tube. Can you post this link here?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dson78 Is this the one you're looking for?

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, despite how important and talked about these are it's rare to actually get actionable adviced on these.

Question - what do people typically use to mix water changes. Do you all have a spare powerhead and heater just for this or is there simpler, cheaper tools?

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, despite how important and talked about these are it's rare to actually get actionable adviced on these.

Question - what do people typically use to mix water changes. Do you all have a spare powerhead and heater just for this or is there simpler, cheaper tools?

I use a Maxi-Jet 1200, before that i used a Hydor Koralia Powerhead and an Eheim Heater.

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will the Switch 13c and adapters work with these so i can control the flow?

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I came here to ask this same question. I always wish I had a smaller diameter tube every time I do water change. I didn't realize these existed. Thanks!

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a vivasun 800gph return pump. Just turn on high and use the hose to mix salt that settles. Think it cost 30$ I have spare heaters.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
1. No water changes or minimal - attrition - that was very well put and I tend to agree. Those that do well in the environment are set. Those that don't, well, they are weeded out. Good way to look at it.

2. Ratio - good way of explaining. I think this is often overlooked by new hobbyists.

3. Other water change solutions - chemicals. Not a fan of chemicals but I understand why you noted it. Just saw a thread today that a new hobbyist, maybe 6 - 8 week old tank, concerned with high nitrates and wanted to right away start dosing NoPox. I think sometimes they can be looked at too quick but understand why you noted it.

4. No Spill / python - GUILTY :). I make such a huge mess... Looking to find a 100 - 150 foot hose and I'd probably go that route.

5. Syphon - GUILTY :). Poopy mouth :( !!!

6. Gravel wash - good idea. Also guilty. My issue is that I don't want to remove the fauna, worms, etc. Haven't found a way around this but think it is very necessary in the long run.

7. Not using a submersible pumps - use those but to buckets. Well said - if you can make it easy, we will do it.

8. Storage - often over looked the maintenance side of it - good segment. Great actually.

9. Not mixing your salt overnight - your video covered that and was a great topic. Hopefully everyone references it to include the storage - #10 below also

10. Storage - back to your previous video - everyone should watch that - another great job!

11. Not using a sediment filter - guilty. Never really thought about it. Nice tip. In fact I use NSW from time to time and this would be a great add on.

12. Hose reel - great idea but I think most of us are trying to figure out what hose to use with it. Would be a great video. Hose price, well, is the bummer so maybe something you guys can discuss. $80 bucks? I'll buy one tomorrow :D

13. Large water change - matching parameters. This is also interesting to cover. I think this may be one thing that melted one of my soft corals by not matching. Well said explaining 10% vs 25%.

14. Not vacuum sandbed - needed and guilty. I do think this is necessary and great coverage or segment on it. I'm back in that camp though that says if I do this I run the risk of syphoning out worms and other live things. I tried once using a filter sock but it didn't work well.

15. Algae removal - often overlook for hair algae or other types. Nice segment.

16. Coral exposure - great segment and often overlooked. I do think this should be factored in with the design of the tank. Great segment!

17. Heater - guilty. Probably most of us had this happen at least once but make sure - 2nd, 3rd, 4th to turn off before water change !!!!

18. Turning off skimmer - not happened but can be a problem. Nice segment to include the topic on controller :)

19. Turkey baster or rock cleaning - I guess either will work depends if sock, no sock, filter pads, etc. Important though. Good segment.

20. Auto water change - love the idea and say all hobbyist should put in their design. I say design because depending on tank location this can be a challenge if you want to be neat. I've not figured the "neat" part out but would love to implement this.

Good video. Actually, scratch that. Great video and job. I think a few of us have had a couple of these happen. Also provided some good insight on things to consider, why you would do it, recommend it, etc. Not pushing products just stating some things to consider or what to watch out for.

Great job! Have an amazing day. Oh - if you want to frag a small piece of both the green and purple sinularia (I believe that is what it is) and send it my way I wouldn't stop you :)

Archibald J McLauchlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200617-101953.png

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back