Dying LPS… hazard to other corals?

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a HUGE mistake yesterday when I got my first online order of corals… in the excitement of receiving the shipment, I forgot to temp acclimate and went straight to dipping before putting into the tank… I realized my mistake immediately after but i had already dumped the water the frags traveled in and figured it would be best to just hope they could recover… three of the frags are doing okay, however the favites and hydnophora both released their zooxanthellae and have barely any color left, not to mention they are still very slimy… since they started expelling all of that, one of my acans appears very agitated and appears to have some tissue loss, prior it was very fluffy and happy… after noticing this, I immediately did a 20% water change… I also threw in some coral aminos in hopes that it would somehow help… at this point I just want to know if it’s better to leave the favites and hydnophora in hopes they will revive… or if it would be better to just remove them… will trying to keep them kill off my tank? I am worried my first huge mistake is going to completely wreck the months of amazing progress… dying inside much like my corals… please advise XD

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures would help in determining if any real damage occurred or just unhappy corals. Shipping is stressful and not unsual for things to take a few days to perk up and adjust. A dying frag isn't really a concern to another frag unless a disease or pest is involved.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures would help in determining if any real damage occurred or just unhappy corals. Shipping is stressful and not unsual for things to take a few days to perk up and adjust. A dying frag isn't really a concern to another frag unless a disease or pest is involved.
Okay, I’ll take a pic in the morning if they still look rough. I’m hoping the acan that looked damaged will at least perk back up in the morning…I’m mostly worried because it looked like very sudden tissue recession… like immediate… it was fine 30 minutes earlier. I work right next to my tank and take at least 5 minutes every hour to de stress by staring at the corals lol I’m curious if maybe the hydnophore or favites released a sweeper that detached and contacted that acan while in the water column or somethin XD pure speculation… thanks, I’ll try to get a pic or two up in the morning. <3

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, damage seems to be localized to the bottom area of the acan, it’s starting to fluff up in the lights everywhere else… acan right next to it and the blastos are lookin beautiful but that one area on this red acan is definitely not great. I also included a pic of my very depressing favites and hydnophora… can these come back or is it a lost cause?

Attachments

• F4985D66-E750-4D37-93BC-AE1957BE3C04.jpeg
    F4985D66-E750-4D37-93BC-AE1957BE3C04.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 799BDB21-A2E7-414B-89C8-0891F921DE6D.jpeg
    799BDB21-A2E7-414B-89C8-0891F921DE6D.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1BCD86A2-3F74-4150-9D07-2B97CE18D20E.jpeg
    1BCD86A2-3F74-4150-9D07-2B97CE18D20E.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0E53C44E-C49A-4D8F-AF76-A42AAEF43EB0.jpeg
    0E53C44E-C49A-4D8F-AF76-A42AAEF43EB0.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 38

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, damage seems to be localized to the bottom area of the acan, it’s starting to fluff up in the lights everywhere else… acan right next to it and the blastos are lookin beautiful but that one area on this red acan is definitely not great. I also included a pic of my very depressing favites and hydnophora… can these come back or is it a lost cause?
To me the Acan just looks unhappy on the bottom, with some time should be ok I'd think. Other two on the frag plugs look like goners to me - but no harm in keeping them where they're at in the miraculous chance they happen to start to make a recovery but would likely be a long time... Depending on who online vendor was if they have a stay alive guarantee you may be able to get refunded for those two.

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the Acan just looks unhappy on the bottom, with some time should be ok I'd think. Other two on the frag plugs look like goners to me - but no harm in keeping them where they're at in the miraculous chance they happen to start to make a recovery but would likely be a long time... Depending on who online vendor was if they have a stay alive guarantee you may be able to get refunded for those two.
As much as I’d love to get a refund, they were in great shape when they arrived… it was my fault for forgetting the acclimation… feels wrong to ask for my money back when I was the irresponsible one lol I’m gonna leave them in and give them the best chance I can <3 thanks for the advice and reassurances

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back