Top Fin Enchant, Saltwater?

Apex_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had just gotten one of these cute little 3.5gal tanks for Christmas. I used to be pretty big into fish tanks growing up, but have kind of fallen out over the years. Just need some insight on if this tank is ready to go for salt water out of the box? Should, or do I need to do any “upgrades”

My goal is to just have like a nice clown or pair of clowns, an anemone, maybe a blenny OR goby. Not really looking for a coral tank so I assume the lighting wouldn’t have to be too fancy

image.jpg

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first Welcome to R2R

So here is the deal. The smaller the tank the harder it is IMO. This is especially true for saltwater tanks where one small mistake in a nano/pico can end in disaster.

Now I’m not saying its impossible to make a mini saltwater tank with this, but it is going to be a whole lot of effort and work. Im also going to tell you that in no circumstance will one, let alone two clownfish in 3.5 gallons ever work. Quite frankly none of the nano fish that I have seen would be okay in this setup, and don’t get started with anemones.

So if you are interested in starting a saltwater/reef tank great, awesome, welcome to club and anyone worth their salt on this forum will go the distance to help you, but I personally would look for a larger tank.

These little tanks are best reserved for a betta, although imo 5G is the smallest I would go for a betta.

If you are still interested on starting a reef tank there are some great articles on this site and also a great YouTube series called BRS 52 weeks of reefing which will answer 99% of reefing questions you might have.

OP
OP
A

Apex_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks so much, Dempsey!
It has the color changing LEDs so I may just get some of those glow tetras and make it a freshy..
Definitely going to get back into salt though, we’re moving into a bigger place so now I have more room to setup something nice too

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic is unforgiving for scratches.

but if wanted something between a saltwater and freshwater tank. They make an excellent shrimp tank. I nice colony of sexy shrimp and say a barnacle blenny or 2. Could definitely do a minimalist sw tank. Not sure how you would add lighting to that setup to grow even plants. But could nicely aquascape with some epoxy planted aquascaping stones.

Another shrimp species is one out of hawaii thats brackish. But would keep species only here.

only needed equipment i would add would be an ato. But thats just because i hate topping off manually lol.

if enjoy this could always upgrade later to say a mr. aqua bookshelf tank, and add lights for some photosynthetic life.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As stated above, that tank will be extremely tedious maintenance wise. I also cannot think of any fish that would go well in something that size. Softie coral tank would be pretty cool though

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up for $19.99 planned on using for a qt but I think I’m gonna pico this thing it’s so cute! Needs better lighting and a tiny skimmer and mini ato other that thinking good to go. Plan on doing a sexy shrimp rock flower nem pico tank. Maybe a pair of baby clowns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back