Torch Coral: Overnight half skeleton showing / retracting

fishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to reefing, so hoping for some feedback.

This torch is about 2 months in the tank (32 gal). It has been doing very well, always extended during the day and looking happy.
All of the sudden, over one night, in the morning it had exposed half of the skeleton on one side.
We saw what looked like its tentacles floating around in the tank.

It was placed mid-level in the tank, with probably slightly too much flow, but seemed to like it for the time it was there until now. Moved it to bottom of tank for now.
Had one a aiptasia a week ago, but immediately removed that rock. Nowhere near this coral.

Recently we added a peppermint shrimp & hermit crab.
Livestock: This Indo(?) Black torch, 2x GSP, 1x Aussie Cotton Candy Torch, 1x Hammer, 1x Duncan, 1x Mushroom, 1x Octospawn, 1x Stylocoeniella
4x Turbo snail, 4x Super Nassarius
1x Clown, 1x Blenny, 1x Cardinal, 1x Gramma

PH: ~8 (morning)
Cal: 410
KH: 9.2
Phos: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 13.3
Ammon: 0.5 (this kit is crap, somewhere between 0 and 0.5)
Salinity: 35 (did drop to 33 recently but brought back up)
Temp: 79
Mag: 1500

10% water change weekly

torch.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm fairly new to reefing, so hoping for some feedback.

This torch is about 2 months in the tank (32 gal). It has been doing very well, always extended during the day and looking happy.
All of the sudden, over one night, in the morning it had exposed half of the skeleton on one side.
We saw what looked like its tentacles floating around in the tank.

It was placed mid-level in the tank, with probably slightly too much flow, but seemed to like it for the time it was there until now. Moved it to bottom of tank for now.
Had one a aiptasia a week ago, but immediately removed that rock. Nowhere near this coral.

Recently we added a peppermint shrimp & hermit crab.
Livestock: This Indo(?) Black torch, 2x GSP, 1x Aussie Cotton Candy Torch, 1x Hammer, 1x Duncan, 1x Mushroom, 1x Octospawn, 1x Stylocoeniella
4x Turbo snail, 4x Super Nassarius
1x Clown, 1x Blenny, 1x Cardinal, 1x Gramma

PH: ~8 (morning)
Cal: 410
KH: 9.2
Phos: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 13.3
Ammon: 0.5 (this kit is crap, somewhere between 0 and 0.5)
Salinity: 35 (did drop to 33 recently but brought back up)
Temp: 79
Mag: 1500

10% water change weekly

torch.jpg
Looks like polyp bailout and recession on another head. Assure flow is not excessive. if you see polyps/tentacles bent over skeleton or bouncing vigorously, flow is too much. Medium light and feed mysis shrimp 2-x a week. Assure also Calcium levels have not dropped below 380-400 and temperature has not become too warm and agre, i do not trust peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
F

fishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
especially when they’re raggedy
like that…

Aww :(
The torch looked way better and very healthy before this happened. He would extend fully 3-4" and wave around happily. Now he does look very, very sick.

I'm using AllForReef dosed daily, and have not had Alk/Calc swings since then. Consistently ~9.2-9.5 and ~410.

So it seems that it's probably the Peppermint shrimp. He was added to the tank less than 1 week ago, and then suddenly this happens to a torch.
I got the shrimp to combat the aiptasia we saw, hoping he'd eat any small left overs after removing the rock the aipstatia was on (which is drying in the garage and will be put back at some point).

Sounds like it's time to catch and kill the shrimp. Sad, but I cannot have him destroying corals.

OP
OP
F

fishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my other, smaller torch, and he still looks good.

Attachments

• torch2.jpg
    torch2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 59

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s you get that torch? Looks nearly exactly like one I have and is showing exactly the same symptoms of illness. Wondering if they came from the same place it’s a delayed reaction to something that happened prior to us taking possession.
I realize there are a lot of corals out there but these torches are somewhat unique looking…shoot me a dm…don’t wanna blow up any vendors unnecessarily. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back