Torch corals stinging each other?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’ve been slowly nursing a bleached 24k torch coral back to health, and recently got a green torch and a blue lightning torch. While all three were initially fully open and in good health, the two on the right, especially the 24k, have become closed, and even began receding significantly. Although they are the same species, can different torch varieties irritate one another? Should I try spacing them out and seeing what happens?
Thanks!
IMG_1181.jpeg

A couple days ago:
IMG_1154.jpeg

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the expert but I believe some can argue with each other

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also not an expert, nor do I play one on TV, but............. In my recent experience, torches won't bother each other until they do. Mine were all fine for months. About 3 weeks ago I noticed 2 of the smaller torches not extending as much as normal. They were on either side of a much larger torch. Fast forward a week and one of the two smaller torches is nothing but a skeleton, and the second has retracted tentacles and the tips swollen to double the size they normally are only on the side that faces and comes in contact with the big torch. It has since been relocated and is doing better. Take that story to mean whatever you want it to, but I'll not place them terribly close to each other in the future.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to move the two new ones out of the tank, and the bleached one is looking fine again, and has its polyps out. I guess the other torches were irritating it—or perhaps it’s just a weird coincidence.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back