Torch Help

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, hoping you can help. Has this torch for 6-7 months and the pictures are in date order (from when it was new to today at the bottom).
Was doing so well, polyp extension was unreal a few weeks ago but now it’s starting to go downhill.
Params:
SG 1.024-1.025
pH 8.2
Alk 8.9
Cá 480
Mg 1380
Nit 5-10
PO4 0.05
Flow is enough to gently move polyps, no direct current and no recent changes. I don’t have a PAR meter but lights not changed much.
At night they fully retract inside the skeleton, it’s never done this before.
Recently reduced nitrates from around 30 over 2 weeks.
What are the white things on the skeleton? Flesh is like 1-2cm from base of polyps.
Not looking happy.
Any help appreciated

IMG_5571.jpeg
IMG_5989.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start off with the easy stuff, calibrate refractometer and test salinity again. Just to get that out of the way and ensure sg is notmal

Any new livestock? Something like hermit crabs or emerald crabs?

This sometimes happens to me too, some nights skeleton is visible while other nights it’s not. Can’t say if it’s normal or not though

I would say that your torch might have acclimated to a higher nutrient environment, I’ve seen some reefs with nitrates sitting at like 70 and acros have crazy color. Just saying it might be a possibility :)

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start off with the easy stuff, calibrate refractometer and test salinity again. Just to get that out of the way and ensure sg is notmal

Any new livestock? Something like hermit crabs or emerald crabs?

This sometimes happens to me too, some nights skeleton is visible while other nights it’s not. Can’t say if it’s normal or not though

I would say that your torch might have acclimated to a higher nutrient environment, I’ve seen some reefs with nitrates sitting at like 70 and acros have crazy color. Just saying it might be a possibility :)
Cheers, did verify readings at LFS so I’m fairly happy no surprises. No new stock (other than a lobos and acan but not placed close). I do have some sexy shrimps that do pester it (you can see in the photo) but this has always been the case, even when it was doing well. It kinda points towards the nitrates eh? Will it acclimatise again? Or should I raise them slightly?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers, did verify readings at LFS so I’m fairly happy no surprises. No new stock (other than a lobos and acan but not placed close). I do have some sexy shrimps that do pester it (you can see in the photo) but this has always been the case, even when it was doing well. It kinda points towards the nitrates eh? Will it acclimatise again? Or should I raise them slightly?
I forgot to ask, have you added any coral without dipping them? Have you ever added coral without dipping by chance?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like growth band grew down to bottom and then algae started growing on it which in of itself is enough to make it unhappy. White dots not sure of from pics. If it were me, I would pop it out and treat with peroxide to get the algae and then dip. Do yourself a favor and invest in some CoralRx, Reef Primer etc. and dip everything when you get it. I almost lost a whole multiheaded hellfire torch because a couple Euphyllia eating flatworms made it through.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like growth band grew down to bottom and then algae started growing on it which in of itself is enough to make it unhappy. White dots not sure of from pics. If it were me, I would pop it out and treat with peroxide to get the algae and then dip. Do yourself a favor and invest in some CoralRx, Reef Primer etc. and dip everything when you get it. I almost lost a whole multiheaded hellfire torch because a couple Euphyllia eating flatworms made it through.
Odd you said this. I literally just now saw a white flatworm in my sump. The size of small brine shrimp. The torch is well and truly stuck on with epoxy. How would I even get it out?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd you said this. I literally just now saw a white flatworm in my sump. The size of small brine shrimp. The torch is well and truly stuck on with epoxy. How would I even get it out?
Just saw torch was having issues and dipped it in CoralRx. Regardless that you have it glued in there just use a little screwdriver and pop it off under the plug/glue. It will pop right off. I ended up snagging two of these

Polyclad-Flatworm-1920x1280.jpg

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw torch was having issues and dipped it in CoralRx. Regardless that you have it glued in there just use a little screwdriver and pop it off under the plug/glue. It will pop right off. I ended up snagging two of these

Polyclad-Flatworm-1920x1280.jpg
K. Convinced. Coming tomorrow! Hope I don’t do damage with the screwdriver. Appreciate the help

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…. I dipped it. Got of lot of what looks like naughty things off but unsure if flatworms. They appear to have tentacles… what do you think?
IMG_7173.jpeg
IMG_7174.jpeg
IMG_7175.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpeg
    IMG_7176.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think those white things are eggs. Didn’t scrape them off but should have. How long should I wait before round 2 dipping?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how to identify pests but I’m pretty sure you would have to dip them weekly for 7 weeks. Hopefully someone with not knowledge can chime in though

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly see copepods (the bugs with tentacles) which are ok and fish food. Kinda hard to tell from the pics but maybe some flatworms of some sort in there. Personally, I would scrape off the white things and dip again.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly see copepods (the bugs with tentacles) which are ok and fish food. Kinda hard to tell from the pics but maybe some flatworms of some sort in there. Personally, I would scrape off the white things and dip again.
Think this is the way I’m heading. I assume I should wait until I get decent polyp extension before I dip (and scrape) again?

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a week since dipping and this is the best it’s extended. Is that normal? Flesh getting too close to the polyps for my comfort :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 31

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things on base are just spionid worms. No harm. Sometimes when euphelia are having a tough split they retract. My hammer did that for a week then popped out split.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. One head is deffo splitting but it has been retracted for some weeks now. Plus the flesh getting pretty close to the head. Oddly the head not splitting is also not happy, assuming it’s more of a systematic thing…no evidence of other issues in the set up tho

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 31

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to check is vermitid snails. Mine were retracted like 3 months ago and had some vermitid snails on their base. They seem to really get irritated by their webs

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 70.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back