Torch thinned polyps?

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tip torch polyps have became thin and Not nearly as stretched as usual and I’m not quite sure why. It’s been like this for about a month

I’ve had it almost a year now, it’s gone from two heads to three recently, and stayed in the same spot in my tank the whole time. Only change has been the dragonsoul torch seen in photo which is thriving, I got it about 2-3 months ago, they’re both indos so I thought they’d do fine next to each other? But I moved the blue tip as a precaution.

My alk is the only other change going from 8.5~ to 11~ due to a change in salt, but I’m going back to classic IO
Calc stays around 420
Mag around 1350

My tank is high nitrates usually around 40, don’t think that matters

So 3 possibilities in my eyes -
Doesn’t like the dragon soul
Doesn’t like alk increase
Stressed from the head split still

I may try to dip it in coralRX

Opinions?
IMG_0512.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tip torch polyps have became thin and Not nearly as stretched as usual and I’m not quite sure why. It’s been like this for about a month

I’ve had it almost a year now, it’s gone from two heads to three recently, and stayed in the same spot in my tank the whole time. Only change has been the dragonsoul torch seen in photo which is thriving, I got it about 2-3 months ago, they’re both indos so I thought they’d do fine next to each other? But I moved the blue tip as a precaution.

My alk is the only other change going from 8.5~ to 11~ due to a change in salt, but I’m going back to classic IO
Calc stays around 420
Mag around 1350

My tank is high nitrates usually around 40, don’t think that matters

So 3 possibilities in my eyes -
Doesn’t like the dragon soul
Doesn’t like alk increase
Stressed from the head split still

I may try to dip it in coralRX

Opinions?
IMG_0512.jpeg
Neither one of the torches in the pic look bad. You moved it so could be lighting, or flow. Alk increase can and will effect corals. May help someone help you if you give before and after pics to see what you are saying. Looks like healthy torches to me.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither one of the torches in the pic look bad. You moved it so could be lighting, or flow. Alk increase can and will effect corals. May help someone help you if you give before and after pics to see what you are saying. Looks like healthy torches to me.
I moved it after the polyps started getting shorter and thinner, I was thinking it didn’t like the dragon soul at first. But it hasn’t changed since I moved it away

I’ll try and find an older pic

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it after the polyps started getting shorter and thinner, I was thinking it didn’t like the dragon soul at first. But it hasn’t changed since I moved it away

I’ll try and find an older pic
Did you notice any of the polyps "interacting" when they were near each other? ie Touching and sticking?

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice any of the polyps "interacting" when they were near each other? ie Touching and sticking?
Quite the opposite, the dragon soul flows away from it for the most part, but it was like the blue tip would refuse to touch the dragon, seemed to actively try and avoid it

A couple of times I seen the dragon touch the ring of flesh of blue tip, but it didn’t seem to stick to it

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the opposite, the dragon soul flows away from it for the most part, but it was like the blue tip would refuse to touch the dragon, seemed to actively try and avoid it

A couple of times I seen the dragon touch the ring of flesh of blue tip, but it didn’t seem to stick to it
Had the alk already risen at that point? How fast did the rise happen?

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So interesting update.. Just dipped it in coral RX because I was sick of it being the only thing in my tank looking ticked off, and not much came off, however it started excreting a white goo that almost looked like half digested mysis shrimp lol. My cleaner shrimp quickly grabbed whatever it was and ate it. It's opening back up now. Wonder if it was having digestion issues or something

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back