Torch is Receeding

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know there are other posts about this, but I need some help. I noticed this morning that the skeleton was visible on one of my torches on the side where the flow is hitting. It’s been in my tank for only like a week or so. I have a torch garden and that seems to be the only torch that is not doing well. I dipped it in revive for about 10 mins and then did a 20% water change.
Params: API kits
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 7.8
Nitrates: roughly 10
Phos: 1
Alk 9
Calcium 360
Mag: not sure

84A14AFA-AEC3-4D2C-A0C8-559227C9A14F.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is way elevated. Calcium is low. How old is the tank? Video of flow would help to.

OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is way elevated. Calcium is low. How old is the tank? Video of flow would help to.
1 month old, and I was told you want it between .01 and .1 phos. And would calcium affect it that much? I did water change so it should’ve picked it up a little. It’s not a flow issue, but I can post one tomorrow.

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month old, and I was told you want it between .01 and .1 phos. And would calcium affect it that much? I did water change so it should’ve picked it up a little. It’s not a flow issue, but I can post one tomorrow.
Your original post reads Phos 1, which is 10 times what I think you meant based off this reply, being .1

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the phosphate is .1 not "1". That's good but the problem you encounter is putting a difficult euphyllia coral in a one month old tank. Your parameters are typically way to unstable to sustain coral like torches at one month. Some simple soft corals would be better choice if you want to try something in a new tank. I recommend leaving lights off the first 4 months to allow your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna then add coral when lights come on.

OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else looks amazing. Puffed out, feeders out.
Then we have this torch. I brought it down from the shelf with the other torches when I started to see it receeding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the flow where it was.

Attachments

• 68832552121__6DE9E45A-C09E-4823-8EB4-E07D3FB95F6C.MOV
    778.8 KB

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would look for is pests. Specifically polyclad flatworms. They can be hard to see as they can blend in with the flesh. I have seen them survive long dips in survive depending on dosage(though it usually makes them squirm a bit and be easier to remove).

Probably not the most likely cause but it would always be my first thing to look for if euphyllia losing flesh.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that the sand is irritating it? Do you see any evidence that it was stung? I would get some better test kits for alk and phosphate. API is not precise enough on these two.

The thing that concerns me on the torch are those bubbles. I think that is dying tissue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would look for is pests. Specifically polyclad flatworms. They can be hard to see as they can blend in with the flesh. I have seen them survive long dips in survive depending on dosage(though it usually makes them squirm a bit and be easier to remove).

Probably not the most likely cause but it would always be my first thing to look for if euphyllia losing flesh.
I see no indication on this torch or any other torch for flatworms. I have not seen anything after the dips etc. and they were all touching basically so wouldn’t the worms be affecting all of them?

OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that the sand is irritating it? Do you see any evidence that it was stung? I would get some better test kits for alk and phosphate. API is not precise enough on these two.

The thing that concerns me on the torch are those bubbles. I think that is dying tissue.
I moved it to the sand after I saw it was receeding. And I will upgrade to Hanna’s soon. The bubbles were left over from a peroxide dip.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no indication on this torch or any other torch for flatworms. I have not seen anything after the dips etc. and they were all touching basically so wouldn’t the worms be affecting all of them?

It would eventually but no not at the same time. Again though I not saying that is the cause. Just always think it a good first step to check but if you thoroughly inspected and saw no signs then that likely not the issue.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to the sand after I saw it was receeding. And I will upgrade to Hanna’s soon. The bubbles were left over from a peroxide dip.

Ah ok. It was the two big bubbles on each side that concerned me. I am not a fan of peroxide in reef tanks or dips as its too indiscriminate in my opinion. The main thing in my opinion is to not move it around. The more you move it the more stressed it will be. In the wild, corals do not move unless there is some accidental fragging event or bailing, so they really shouldn't be able to tolerate sudden changes like that very well (as natural selection promotes the bare minimum traits needed). As long as there isn't brown jelly disease, I would just leave it be.

OP
OP
Guzman333

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. It was the two big bubbles on each side that concerned me. I am not a fan of peroxide in reef tanks or dips as its too indiscriminate in my opinion. The main thing in my opinion is to not move it around. The more you move it the more stressed it will be. In the wild, corals do not move unless there is some accidental fragging event or bailing, so they really shouldn't be able to tolerate sudden changes like that very well (as natural selection promotes the bare minimum traits needed). As long as there isn't brown jelly disease, I would just leave it be.
Yea, no jelly. And I have heard both good and bad with peroxide but it was kind of like a last attempt to try and save the little dude.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back