Torch [Octo]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gaspipe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gaspipe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Messages
775
Reaction score
423
Location
Cranford
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this octo for a few months now and the tentacles are only about 1" to 1.5".

Is this typical? I really love the look of long swaying tentacles. The powerhead is not blasting it. The only movement it gets is the flow bouncing off the wall, so it's indirect flow.

 
It looks healthy to me.
He is.

Few weeks ago there was a "bubble" near the mouth. Someone remarked that it may be splitting, also a good sign.

I just wish the tentacles were longer and wondering if that comes with time or perhaps Octo don't have that reach.
 
That appears to frammer not a torch but regardless, it looks fine to me.

Having said that, it's considerably easier for us to see what's going on if you change your lights to all white while taking the picture. Or, what I find even easier, is to just point a bright flashlight at the tank. The flashlight should wash out the blue color.
 
Last edited:
Also, come to think of it, if I'm seeing it correctly and it is a frammer, that might be your issue. Torches get those long tentacles that wave in the flow. Frammer/Hammer/Octospawns don't tend to do that quite as much.

Look at the tentacles, do they end in a single round dot:
https://www.fantaseaaquariums.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/torch-coral-2.jpg
Or are they oblong/hammer shaped and sometimes more than one per tentacle?
https://reeffarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/frammer.jpgor
https://www.miarrecife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/d703c52c056bb3511d0253ae3e8d45fd.jpg
 
Last edited:
That first one is gorgeous!!

Mine is more like the 2nd. It's a frogspawn. For some reason I thought it was an Octo.

Also, come to think of it, if I'm seeing it correctly and it is a frammer, that might be your issue. Torches get those long tentacles that wave in the flow. Frammer/Hammer/Octospawns don't tend to do that quite as much.

Look at the tentacles, do they end in a single round dot:
https://www.fantaseaaquariums.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/torch-coral-2.jpg
Or are they oblong/hammer shaped and sometimes more than one per tentacle?
https://reeffarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/frammer.jpgor
https://www.miarrecife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/d703c52c056bb3511d0253ae3e8d45fd.jpg
 
Also, come to think of it, if I'm seeing it correctly and it is a frammer, that might be your issue. Torches get those long tentacles that wave in the flow. Frammer/Hammer/Octospawns don't tend to do that quite as much.

Look at the tentacles, do they end in a single round dot:
https://www.fantaseaaquariums.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/torch-coral-2.jpg
Or are they oblong/hammer shaped and sometimes more than one per tentacle?
https://reeffarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/frammer.jpgor
https://www.miarrecife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/d703c52c056bb3511d0253ae3e8d45fd.jpg
The OP's coral is definitely not a frammer. It's a regular frogspawn and appears healthy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new