OP
tazzette

tazzette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this Cause my bubble tip to have no more bubbles.

Attachments

• 17156987993003696126854063530707.jpg
    17156987993003696126854063530707.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 8

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe do some research yourself on the correct lighting for corals. You do not seem to be accepting of anyone’s help

jazkiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is one of the most crucial factors for the health and growth of corals in a reef aquarium. Corals are photosynthetic organisms, which means they rely on light for energy production through a symbiotic relationship with photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live within their tissues.
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting the correct lighting for a reef aquarium:
  1. Intensity: Corals require adequate light intensity to support photosynthesis. The intensity of light is typically measured in PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) or PUR (Photosynthetically Usable Radiation). Different species of corals have varying light intensity requirements, so it's essential to research the specific needs of the corals you plan to keep.
  2. Spectrum: The spectrum of light is also crucial. Corals utilize different wavelengths of light for various biological processes. Generally, a lighting system that provides a full spectrum, including blue, violet, and red wavelengths, is beneficial for coral growth and coloration. LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights are popular for reef aquariums because they allow for customization of the light spectrum.
  3. Duration: Providing a consistent lighting schedule mimicking natural daylight cycles is important. Most reef aquariums use a lighting schedule of around 8 to 12 hours of light per day. Some aquarists simulate sunrise and sunset by gradually increasing and decreasing light intensity over time.
  4. Uniformity: It's important to ensure that light is evenly distributed throughout the aquarium to prevent shadowing and ensure all corals receive adequate light. This can be achieved by using multiple light sources positioned strategically over the aquarium or by using reflectors to direct light onto shadowed areas.
  5. Lighting Technology: There are various lighting technologies available for reef aquariums, including metal halide, fluorescent, and LED lights. LED lighting has become increasingly popular due to its energy efficiency, customizable spectrum, and long lifespan.
  6. Lighting Control: Many modern lighting systems come with programmable controllers that allow users to customize light intensity, spectrum, and timing. This level of control is beneficial for creating optimal lighting conditions for different types of corals and for replicating natural lighting variations.
  7. Acclimation: When introducing corals to a new aquarium or changing lighting conditions, it's essential to acclimate them gradually to prevent stress or bleaching. This involves slowly increasing the intensity and duration of light over a period of several weeks.
Overall, selecting the correct lighting for a reef aquarium involves understanding the specific light requirements of the corals you intend to keep and providing a lighting system that can meet those needs effectively while also considering factors such as intensity, spectrum, duration, uniformity, and control.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some advice if you’re open to it. Return the corals to the store where you bought them from. Go out and research and purchase a light suited for corals. Understand how much par it will put out, then start researching some beginner friendly corals that you like. Then slowly start adding some. That should set you up for success.

And a shout out to Sudbury. I’m from Kirkland Lake :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back