Torches losing color

  • Thread starter Thread starter krak256
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

krak256

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
269
Reaction score
105
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these 2 torches back in January and they looked like this:
CE40098E-5F64-46EE-8D6C-B95715F63874.jpeg


Now a few months later they have darkened, most noticeably in the center:
8FB1E119-CEAF-4356-A23C-DBC43EEB79DF.jpeg


What caused the color loss? The previous owner kept them under 200 PAR while I am keeping them under ~330 PAR. Is that the reason?

Not sure if nutrients play a role but my nitrates are 2 while po4 is 0.06.

Thanks in advance.
 
I got these 2 torches back in January and they looked like this:
CE40098E-5F64-46EE-8D6C-B95715F63874.jpeg


Now a few months later they have darkened, most noticeably in the center:
8FB1E119-CEAF-4356-A23C-DBC43EEB79DF.jpeg


What caused the color loss? The previous owner kept them under 200 PAR while I am keeping them under ~330 PAR. Is that the reason?

Not sure if nutrients play a role but my nitrates are 2 while po4 is 0.06.

Thanks in advance.
Try increasing nitrates 2 too low, I had em at 5-10
 
I got these 2 torches back in January and they looked like this:
CE40098E-5F64-46EE-8D6C-B95715F63874.jpeg


Now a few months later they have darkened, most noticeably in the center:
8FB1E119-CEAF-4356-A23C-DBC43EEB79DF.jpeg


What caused the color loss? The previous owner kept them under 200 PAR while I am keeping them under ~330 PAR. Is that the reason?

Not sure if nutrients play a role but my nitrates are 2 while po4 is 0.06.

Thanks in advance.
More zooxanthellae? Making them darker.
My best guess, seems right.
I'm sure you will get more replies.
 
More zooxanthellae? Making them darker.
My best guess, seems right.
I'm sure you will get more replies.
Yea I wonder if the higher par increased the zooxanthellae. I’m dialing back my radions to see if that’ll help.
 
Has anyone else had this happen to their torches?
 
I think you have it right. Light and nutrients both play a role in how the coloring of the coral will look.
 
My torches lost their gold once and I did a PAR test and it was way too low. I bumped up the intensity slowly and the color has come back. IME gold type torches love high par.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new