Tornado

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my town got wrecked by a tornado and I only have one battery powered air pump between my two tanks. I had to improvise with an air mattress pump. Will this provide sufficient gas exchange or do I need to beef it up with another pump?

4C4C755A-4F5E-45FE-B226-8D09C5EEA830.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6023.MOV
    18.4 MB

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my town got wrecked by a tornado and I only have one battery powered air pump between my two tanks. I had to improvise with an air mattress pump. Will this provide sufficient gas exchange or do I need to beef it up with another pump?

First thing I would aim any flow pump that is running toward the service to agitate the water and help oxygenate it. You can also agitate the water with your hand periodically to help. Do you have a generator or invertor to help?

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would aim any flow pump that is running toward the service to agitate the water and help oxygenate it. You can also agitate the water with your hand periodically to help. Do you have a generator or invertor to help?
I just bought the last one in the next town over, but I’m more than likely going to need to prioritize it for other purposes. It’s blowing straight at the surface now. This is my big FOWLR 125 with 4 pets in it.

Attachments

• E9970026-E2C2-4241-B466-5230D507FF14.jpeg
    E9970026-E2C2-4241-B466-5230D507FF14.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 62

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air stone might be enough. If you are able, you could get a pitcher, bucket, or big cup and pick up and dump water back into the tank periodically. You can also get a big plastic spoon and stir the tank periodically if possible. Enlist family helpers if available.

I kept my tank alive for 5 days doing these types of things.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air stone might be enough. If you are able, you could get a pitcher, bucket, or big cup and pick up and dump water back into the tank periodically. You can also get a big plastic spoon and stir the tank periodically if possible. Enlist family helpers if available.

I kept my tank alive for 5 days doing these types of things.

Best of luck.
Awesome thanks a lot for the info. I’m getting worried about temp drops now. My 125 is in the basement and has dropped from 76 to 71. The dude at my LFS is trying to get me some space to bring those fish over for a while.

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it didn’t hit your house. I take it you live in Andover KS, I lived in west Wichita 13 years ago and I remember the sounds of the sirens going off.
Yeah that’s where I’m at. It was one heck of a Friday night. Very grateful that no one was seriously injured.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m concerned that the backup I had for my reef is insufficient though. It’s on an air stone but this 75g has a lot of life in it. Should I find something else to increase agitation at the surface?

1B56E407-6658-4F38-9B03-0D5E7D61697A.jpeg
The more flow 'the better'. What are/were you using for filtration? When do you expect power again? Just be careful - depending on what you were using for filtration - not to ust turn it back on - if it could have been anaerobic for a period of time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks pretty good. Any chance on getting the tip deeper?

As you are aware, aeration solves the short term issues, but long term, filtration and heating/cooling become critical.

Jay

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more flow 'the better'. What are/were you using for filtration? When do you expect power again? Just be careful - depending on what you were using for filtration - not to ust turn it back on - if it could have been anaerobic for a period of time
I have a 30ish gallon sump with a large fuge containing a bunch of chaeto and pods. I also use a canister filter. Maybe I’ll remove the canister and empty the water.

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good. Any chance on getting the tip deeper?

As you are aware, aeration solves the short term issues, but long term, filtration and heating/cooling become critical.

Jay
Yes sir I got some longer airline and an additional pump so I have two air stones going. I evacuated my basement fish to my lfs (who’s awesome)because the temperature was dropping so fast. I figured that was the safest bet. I also bought 20 gallons of salt water from them for some water changes since I don’t have power to mix my own.

Attachments

• 6BECF797-7CFE-41E7-994F-017B3383AD65.jpeg
    6BECF797-7CFE-41E7-994F-017B3383AD65.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 20

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 30ish gallon sump with a large fuge containing a bunch of chaeto and pods. I also use a canister filter. Maybe I’ll remove the canister and empty the water.
I would completely clean/remove the canister filter - then - when you 'restart' - add Fritz 9000. or another bacteria - as per instructions.. Just under no circumstances - just turn the canister back on. And - BTW - I've been through this - not with a tank - but with a flood - without a tank

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would completely clean/remove the canister filter - then - when you 'restart' - add Fritz 9000. or another bacteria - as per instructions.. Just under no circumstances - just turn the canister back on. And - BTW - I've been through this - not with a tank - but with a flood - without a tank
Thanks dude I’ve disconnected the canister. Any concerns for restarting the return pump and circulating the sump and dt water? Whenever I get power again anyway lol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks dude I’ve disconnected the canister. Any concerns for restarting the return pump and circulating the sump and dt water? Whenever I get power again anyway lol.
I would aerate the sump as well - keep flow there as well - or else - drain the water - in the sump - and start over. I.e. no anaerobic areas

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting the main pump in the sump should be fine. Remember to keep the sump water mixing as well as the main tank. Wish you all the best!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back