Torpedo puffer

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer for 2 years. He always moves slowly but has no problems feeding or getting along with other fish in my 180 gal.

A month ago he didn't come to eat, just sitting at a rear corner staring at me( NO other fish ever bothered him). He continued to do so for 3 days. On the 4th day when I approached the tank to feed, he started to dart around "madly", went through the gap at the filter opening, and landed behind the aquarium stand! It took me like 2 minutes to "fish" him out( hahaha!) and put him back. It took him 2 minutes before he started to right himself and swim again.

I didn't know what to do so I just did a 25% water change the next day. He didn't show any improvement and actually did another 2-3 mad dashes the following days. Banging the sides of the tank etc, the mini torpedo landed on the tank top one of those times. He didn't eat for a few more days and I was pretty sure I was about to lose him.

Then strangely, after more than a week since he acted up, he started to come out to eat a little. A few days later he's back to normal again!

What happened to him???

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I had a porcupine puffer exhibit similar behavior. After a week he went back to his normal routine. It’s strange and I don’t have an explanation either. Hopefully somebody will chime in on what causes this??

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! At least I didn't dream it up ( Never in my wildest dream that he could swim Soooooo Fast :astonished-face::astonished-face:!!!) I Hope it won't happen again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back