Toxic Palay

KM Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
51
Reaction score
40
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know if anyone can identify these palays that are starting to spread In my tank. Are these the very toxic variety? If so ,I want to make sure I keep them contained and not allow them on my main rock structure.
Thanks

190A551B-2DC4-4B36-9ADE-C4A3752905BA.jpeg
 
Not very toxic but grow quickly and can overtake a rock in no time
 
Someone probably put a fancy name with them, but I think most people just call them green palys. I'm guessing they are P. mutuki. If you can observe them when they close, there's a good primer on identifying the species that contain paly toxin vs. those that don't here:

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

Thank you for the reply ! ... A little more info...these are the solid bright green variety ... they have black stalks/base that are smooth and the mouth is also green. I’ll check out the link.. thanks again
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new