Toybox's IM40 Reboot

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R! I copied this journal from Nano-reef because that's just where I happened to start the thread. I started my tank around the end of August 2016, so this thread is based since then! I'll continue to update it here from now on. I need to go through and organize my coral list and add new ones. But other than that, let me know what you think of my journey so far!

Background

Hey guys. This will be the start of my journal into the saltwater world! I’m coming from multiple years in the planted tank world. Started with a 20gal long, then moved to a 34 gal. I ran a high tech tank.

Here are some of the last shots I have before I tore it down to make the switch.

SVoRfUxl.jpg

4kSj5kel.jpg

Journal

That’s enough background, onto my tank!

I decided to go with an IM 40. It was the same size as my 34 gal so I got to reuse my stand! I also chose this size because it something manageable. I’m a full time student working towards my Aerospace Engineering degree. I’ll be graduating this spring with my BS and my Masters the following spring! I am also working part time at Neptune's Aquatics in San Jose.

This is my first saltwater tank, so lots to be learned. I plan on having a mixed reef. I’m undecided on fish right now.

Equipment

• IM Fusion 40

• Sicce 2.0 Return pump

• Kessil AP700

• Apex Standard

• WXM Module

• ALD Module

• 2x Koralia Nano Powerheads

• Tunze ATO

• Eheim Heater

• 2x MP10wQD

• Battery Backup

• Intank Media Baskets

• Purigen

• Chemipure Elite

Coral Stock

• Red hot chili pepper Monti

• WWC Red/Green Graph Monti

• Rainbow Monti

• Orange Monti

• White Monti
  • Orange Zoa

• Taiwanese Zoa

• Green eye dragon Palys

• Blue Palys

• Orange Tip, Purple Mouth Zoa

• Paradise Zoa

• Gatorade Zoa
  • Orange Acan
  • Open Brain
  • Green Rhodactis Mushroom

• Red Mystery Mushroom

• Green Spotted Mushroom

• Interstellar Mushroom
  • Yellow Tip Torch

• Duncan

• Purple Tip Frogspawn

• Green Kenya Tree
  • Green Polyp Stylo

• Green Acro

• Green Slimer Acro

• White Birdsnest
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice

• Miami Hurricane Chalice

• Watermelon Chalice
  • Green Toadstool Leather
  • Green Chip Coral

Fish Stock / CUC

• Cleaner Shrimp
  • Large CUC
  • Purple Fire Fish

Here is the initial setup of the tank. I was unsure of what light I was gonna go with, so I was just seeing how a Kessil A360 would look.

41gOJTUl.jpg

Here was my first scape. Realized it was definitely not enough rock. I think it was 26lbs. It looked like so much at the shop, but in the tank it looked empty.

F7EGIIKl.jpg

Luckily the shop is 5 minutes away from my apartment, so back I go for more rock. 34lbs now. Looking much better.

MAE8jWVl.jpg

ETetiF3l.jpg

Tank is wet after getting more rock. For now I had an old freshwater light over the tank. Didn't use it, was just for this picture.

9JhArsUl.jpg

Went through diatoms and all the jazz. No big issues while cycling other than wishing it’d hurry up. It ended up taking just about 4 weeks to cycle. And rather than string you along with all the small updates with every coral added, I’ll jump to how the tank is sitting now. I ended up adding some more rock, mainly shelves for SPS. As you can tell, I went with an AP700.

IdQKh8nl.jpg
l

uLQJQQ0l.jpg
l

So far, I only have a cleaner shrimp and a basic clean up crew in the tank. Haven't decided on what fish I want. I'm thinking about one of the types of firefish. Also considering a Yasha goby.

I also have a two MP10wQD on the way with a battery back up. These Koralia nano power-heads just aren't cutting it. That also means I'll be picking up a WXM module to control them through my apex.

Here's an ugly cellphone shot from this morning. I really need to start gluing corals to the rocks.

10/24/16

Got some orange gel filters for pictures. Haven't had the chance to mess with all them, but they definitely help. I also got my frag racks in. I'll get pictures of them tomorrow sometime!

This picture was taken as of 10/31/16

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a little update since the last picture.

I got some crazy diatoms from something. I don't know if its cause I added too many corals at once or my tank just wasn't completely cycled or I stirred up the sand, but it just wasn't going away. I was scrubbing my rocks and siphoning my sand to pull it out, and it always came back. So I got a cleaner package from the guys at reefcleaners and I've been watching the thread on vibrant, so I went ahead and ordered a bottle. I've had it for a week and dosed 4ml and the algae looks 100% better. It's still there, but receding.

This was all over my sand and rocks.

As of now, I think I finally have a feel for what my lighting is in my tank and where corals are happiest. So my next move is to start pulling corals off plugs and placing them in my tank. I have an apogee quantum sensor on the way because I would like to know what the AP700 is pushing at 20%. Not a lot of people run it that low, especially on a tank this size. haha Once I get readings, I'll start placing corals.

Here are some pics from last night I took with my cellphone (LG V10) They aren't horrible, but I gotta learn to use my Canon for better pics. These are full blue with an orange filter.

If anyone knows the 'street' names for my corals, go ahead and let me know!

Also, I love feedback so if you see anything, please let me know.

FTS

Eagle eye zoas

My little Acan garden.

Hollywood stunner.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. It's been awhile since I've updated this thread. Here's a pick of what the above pics grew into. I had it pretty packed with all sorts of corals.

GSC8X4jl.jpg

For multiple reasons I had to take down that tank for a little as I got too busy with grad school and couldn't give the tank the attention it needed. I've recently brought the tank back to life and want to be more diligent with this thread as I love sharing the journey. Here's a pic from the other day.

As I was starting the tank back up, I ended up losing a bunch of corals due to the magnet in my mixing tank pump had swelled and was leaching. I couldn't figure out what was wrong till the pump finally stopped working and that's how I found out. Now that that has been figured out, things should begin to bounce back.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more macro shots from before I took the tank down.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had some interest in 3D printing some parts for people on here. So if anyone is interested, I can look into picking that back up as well.

Kindle Fire Tablet Holder

Neptune Water level sensor holder.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! The magnet issue was a bummer but at least you figured it out.

I noticed that you have a partner member 2018 badge. What is that for? I want to get one if I qualify.

Are you offering to do 3D printing for a fee? I have see a few great ideas in that dept.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! The magnet issue was a bummer but at least you figured it out.
Ya. It was a huge bummer not being able to figure out why everything was dying. It was really disheartening seeing the tank like it was. It almost caused me to break down the tank. But now that it's fixed, everything is bouncing back and looking how it should!

Are you offering to do 3D printing for a fee? I have see a few great ideas in that dept.
If you got some ideas, I'm welcome to collaborate on them! I leave for vacation soon, but I'll be back the beginning of August.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally broke down and decided to get an RODI unit. I grabbed a BRS 7-stage 200gal water saver model while it was 10% off. And then I saw the video @randyBRS posted and I knew I made a good choice. I was over driving to my LFS and lugging 25 gallons back into my apartment. I'm really excited to have it and excited to use it. I just want to make water to use it. haha Setup was a breeze and I see why everyone recommends them. Setup is ugly, but it'll work till I get back from vacation and can make it look prettier. Gonna grab a second brute trashcan to store RODI and use my current for salt.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to give a shout out to Octo Aquatics. I got a lid for my IM40 and it came out perfect. He was quick and easy to talk with and got me the lid very quickly.

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a bit of an aiptasia problem. Been ongoing. Aiptasia X doesn't seem to be helping so I finally reached out to Reeftown to grab 16 Berghia Nudibranchs. I've been reading a lot of posts about them working for people. I added them in the tank about a week or 2 ago. So far I haven't noticed a big difference but time will tell.

I also got a vertical 40 gallon storage tank for my RODI. It's so much nicer having it stored and ready for when I need it. I'll have to grab a picture tonight.

But besides that the tank is doing well! Here are some fun marco pictures.

WWC Purple Monsters

Rastas

I think they're Eagle eyes

Birds nest

And an older top down

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back