trace colors test kit

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use red sea trace colors test kit and whats your experience with it? I / K / Fe

found any deficiencies? little to no water changes? mixed tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. The Iron and Iodine tests are super easy and quick to do, and only the Potassium test is a bit more involved (it involves first filtering then titration).

My iodine was a bit high @0.9, my iron a bit low @0.025 and the potassium was around 368ppm (also a bit low).

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that trace element parameters vary between different reefs, Did you notice a visual improvement after correction or were they only made to match recommended guidelines.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that trace element parameters vary between different reefs, Did you notice a visual improvement after correction or were they only made to match recommended guidelines.
I have a mixed reef (only some SPS), but I did start adding a bit more iron and potassium in the form of the Nyos Active Elements that I dose weekly and cut back slightly on the Nyos Active Iodine every week. It's only been maybe a week and a half, but there seems to be a slight improvement. Full disclosure (this could also be subjective on my part) - but some of my soft corals do seem fuller and healthier.

I'm going off the recommendations on the app I use and the Red Sea test kit suggested values. All my inverts are doing great (molting, etc.), and I'm not seeing any rash of coral deaths, and with the exception of iron everything was really close. I'll probably test again in a few weeks to see where everything stands.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef (only some SPS), but I did start adding a bit more iron and potassium in the form of the Nyos Active Elements that I dose weekly and cut back slightly on the Nyos Active Iodine every week. It's only been maybe a week and a half, but there seems to be a slight improvement. Full disclosure (this could also be subjective on my part) - but some of my soft corals do seem fuller and healthier.

I'm going off the recommendations on the app I use and the Red Sea test kit suggested values. All my inverts are doing great (molting, etc.), and I'm not seeing any rash of coral deaths, and with the exception of iron everything was really close. I'll probably test again in a few weeks to see where everything stands.
I hate reviving older threads, but now that you have had a few weeks to hopefully get your elements to the recommended levels have you seen a difference in the tank. I'm trying to decide if I need to start dosing minor and trace elements.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate reviving older threads, but now that you have had a few weeks to hopefully get your elements to the recommended levels have you seen a difference in the tank. I'm trying to decide if I need to start dosing minor and trace elements.

I want to mention I did notice a color change in my montipora in my tank this week. it was a pale green before aquavitro fuel, and after using it, it is now its normal solid green.
Before I was using red sea reef energy twice a week (instructions say you can use it everyday) and I was also using red sea trace colors weekly at a minimum dose. (hard to say how much calcium im actually using at the moment since im dosing kalkwasser solution every hour)

Now, I'm using aquavitro fuel instead, which is a coral food fed twice a week, and also includes a minor/trace element portion.

I should mention a few other corals changed color too, like a better looking birds of paradise colors, wolverine acro colors, and rainbow loom, but I want to attribute those to stability, since they were not as drastic of a change as the monti I mentioned above. overall I like using aq fuel better as an all in one, its just easier, twice a week and done.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to mention I did notice a color change in my montipora in my tank this week. it was a pale green before aquavitro fuel, and after using it, it is now its normal solid green.
Before I was using red sea reef energy twice a week (instructions say you can use it everyday) and I was also using red sea trace colors weekly at a minimum dose. (hard to say how much calcium im actually using at the moment since im dosing kalkwasser solution every hour)

Now, I'm using aquavitro fuel instead, which is a coral food fed twice a week, and also includes a minor/trace element portion.

I should mention a few other corals changed color too, like a better looking birds of paradise colors, wolverine acro colors, and rainbow loom, but I want to attribute those to stability, since they were not as drastic of a change as the monti I mentioned above. overall I like using aq fuel better as an all in one, its just easier, twice a week and done.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into the one. Most of my corals are doing good (there's always an exception or two) but I'm not sure if I would get any benefit from dosing minor/trace elements.
I may get some and try it for a few weeks and if it doesn't make a difference quit using it.

ETA- when you dose the aquavitro fuel, do you just go by the recommended dosage or is there any test you use to determine if you should dose. That is the one thing I did like about the Red Sea colors is that I can test for at least part of what I'd be dosing.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. The Iron and Iodine tests are super easy and quick to do, and only the Potassium test is a bit more involved (it involves first filtering then titration).

My iodine was a bit high @0.9, my iron a bit low @0.025 and the potassium was around 368ppm (also a bit low).

Just to be clear, Red Sea has a hugely high recommendation for iron that is possibly only that high so that their kit can detect it. 0.025 ppm iron is not by any stretch of the imagination "low" (IMO). That value is far above the level needed to make it no longer a limiting element for organism growth.

It is also vastly higher than iron in the open ocean. Typical surface concentrations are on the order of 0.000006 ppm.

I discuss iron more here:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, Red Sea has a hugely high recommendation for iron that is possibly only that high so that their kit can detect it. 0.025 ppm iron is not by any stretch of the imagination "low" (IMO). That value is far above the level needed to make it no longer a limiting element for organism growth.

It is also vastly higher than iron in the open ocean. Typical surface concentrations are on the order of 0.000006 ppm.

I discuss iron more here:

What is your opinion on dosing trace elements? My tank is a 125g that I have an AWC that is set to replace roughly 10% each week. Do you think adding trace elements if doing water changes is necessary or just a wasted effort.

I know that is a very open ended question with a lot of different variable so I know there is likely no "right" answer so I was just curious what your thoughts on it are.

Back