Trace Element dosing w/ Trident/DOS

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, as any body found a way to automatically dose trace elements with the Trident Controlled Dosing?

For more background, I used Red Sea's 4-part Trace Element mixture in a 1:10 ratio to my Calcium dose. Has anyone figured out a way to configure a DOS to look at the amount of CA supplement dosed and have it automatically dose the trace elements in relation?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your DOS you can add a Control Interval to anything you're dosing, and tell it to reference any of the 3 Trident readings. So for example if you're dosing 100 ml of Calcium with a target of 420 ppm and Trident adjusts by 30% up or down, you could do the exact same thing on your trace elements DOS by setting a base level of 10 ml (your 1:10 ratio) and have the Trident vary that by 30% up or down against the same Calcium target of 420 ppm.

Example:

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.06.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.06.48 AM.png

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but since the Trace Elements don't directly effect Ca levels I didn't know how effective that would be at keeping everything balanced with the Ca.

I am wondering if there was a way to program one DOS head to watch another and have it dose at a ratio.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but since the Trace Elements don't directly effect Ca levels I didn't know how effective that would be at keeping everything balanced with the Ca.

I am wondering if there was a way to program one DOS head to watch another and have it dose at a ratio.

I'm confused...Are you currently controlling Calcium dosing with your Trident? If you are, then my approach would increase and decrease your trace elements in a 1:10 ratio along with your Calcium dosing amounts.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am.

Here is where my brain gets stuck:

In theory, if I set the Trace Elements to dose based off the CA test result, enter the amount to dose daily (at 1/10 of the Ca dose), the Trident will tell the DOS to kick on based on the Ca result. But does it always adjust evenly? Meaning, everyday if the Ca is set to 10ml/day and the Trident adjusts it up to 12ml, do the Trace Elements get moved up to 1.2ml?

If it adjusts unevenly it isn't long before my entire system is out of balance.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am.

Here is where my brain gets stuck:

In theory, if I set the Trace Elements to dose based off the CA test result, enter the amount to dose daily (at 1/10 of the Ca dose), the Trident will tell the DOS to kick on based on the Ca result. But does it always adjust evenly? Meaning, everyday if the Ca is set to 10ml/day and the Trident adjusts it up to 12ml, do the Trace Elements get moved up to 1.2ml?

If it adjusts unevenly it isn't long before my entire system is out of balance.

OK, let's use your example numbers. If your normal baseline is 10ml/day of Ca, and the Trident decides it needs to increase that by 20% to 12ml, then it would also increase your 1ml/day of trace elements by 20% to 1.2ml. As long as your base dosing amounts are set to 1:10, and you set the exact same Control Interval percentages on both Ca and trace elements, then it will maintain 1:10 even when Trident increases or decreases.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

Back